Author Topic: Thomas Morris/Morys of Plas ucha  (Read 329 times)

Offline plasuchaf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Morris/Morys of Plas ucha
« on: Tuesday 24 May 22 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all - I'm looking for some help!

The list of High Sheriffs of Denbighshire shows a Thomas Morris 1561
This guy was the first husband of Elizabeth (Thelwall) Morys (born c. 1560)

Her second husband was Edward Goodman
They had a daughter Lowri Maurice - she married Edward's brother Thomas Goodman.

All good so far - BUT - I can't find where Thomas Morris comes from. I have one account that has him as:
Thomas ab Maurice ab John ab Maredydd ab . . . ,n Lloyd

and one that says he was probably related to the Morys Wynn, whose daughter married Thomas Salusbury, Esq. of Lleweni, grandson of Sir Thomas Salusbury. This family sometimes hyphenated both names, to be Morys-Wynn as their surname, and added a Christian name.

But I can't find him anywhere.

Can anyone help ????

Many thanks
Graham.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Morris/Morys of Plas ucha
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 07:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Graham.
I cannot assist, but as a general bit of advice it might help others if you say what your sources are, and where you’ve searched. It saves others duplicating effort.
Good luck!

Offline plasuchaf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 22 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips!

Now with sources....
[3] The list of High Sheriffs of Denbighshire shows a Thomas Morris 1561
[1] This guy was the first husband of Elizabeth (Thelwall) Morys (born c. 1560)

Her second husband was Edward Goodman
[1] They had a daughter Lowri Maurice - she married Edward's brother Thomas Goodman.

All good so far - BUT - I can't find where Thomas Morris comes from. I have one account that has him as:
[3] Thomas ab Maurice ab John ab Maredydd ab . . . ,n Lloyd

[2] and one that says he was probably related to the Morys Wynn, whose daughter married Thomas Salusbury, Esq. of Lleweni, grandson of Sir Thomas Salusbury. This family sometimes hyphenated both names, to be Morys-Wynn as their surname, and added a Christian name.

Source [1]
A Memoir of Gabriel Goodman ... with Some Account of Ruthin School, and the Names of Its Most Eminent Scholars, Etc Also of Godfrey Goodman, D.D., Bishop of Gloucester from the Year 1624 to 1655 ... By Richard Newcome · 1825
Google Books scan is https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/A_Memoir_of_Gabriel_Goodman_with_Some_Ac/fgYrAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Source [2]
Website created by Ron Goodman
https://www.goodmanhistory.com/england/related-uk-families/williams-family/

Source [3] page 308
The History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog
And the Ancient Lords of Arwystli, Cedewen, and Meirionydd · Volume 4
Google books link : https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_History_of_the_Princes_the_Lords_Mar/Eh0fAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Offline Plas.uchaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hello there, I came across your question here as part of a search on google. I’d be interested to know if you found more information about Thomas Morys? I’m interested in the history of Plas Uchaf - who lived here first etc. the furthest I’ve got is his daughter Lowri Morys, wife of Thomas Goodman, 3rd son of Gawen Goodman. She is mentioned as heiress of Plas Ucha. Any information would be greatly appreciated!