Author Topic: John Griffiths (circa 1805-52) Master Mason and Builder Trevethin  (Read 553 times)

Offline genie65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Griffiths (circa 1805-52) Master Mason and Builder Trevethin
« on: Thursday 26 May 22 04:00 BST (UK) »
John Griffiths 1806-1852 Master Mason and Builder died Trevethin and  was married to MARGARET HARRIS DAVIES (1801-1880+) Previously he was married to Sarah Morris (circa 1805-1842) and had 8 children, who died of Typhoid possible parents john and Mary Elizabeth Morris.

Margaret  Harris Davies Griffiths 39, from Marlybone London,  married  David DAVIES (1786-1842) in 1840 whose former wife was Elizabeth Jones (circa 1789-1838) Trevethin, who with Margaret his second wife,  were noted as Inn keepers and DAVID DAVIES, a Brewer of the Three Cranes in Crane St ,Trevethin Monmouthshire in 1841 census .

Some of David Davies 13 children with his wife Elizabeth  Jones were sent to live with her family in Trevethin but John and Margaret Harris Davies Griffiths adopted Elizabeth Griffiths later. Margaret later married William Phillips about 1865 whose wife had predeceased leaving about 12 children  Margaret Harris despite having no children of her own was step mother to about 30 children

John Griffiths is indicated to be born on 1851 Census to be born in MANTWILL GLAMORGAN but this does not exist so am trying to find out what this place might be. His father was William Griffiths also a builder and possible mason from Glamorgan

His children were all christened in St Cadocs which appears to be overgrown now I suspect he may be buried there and as a mason he probably had made tomb stones for his family and others. Could you help me please me find Sarah MORRIS parents and also JOhn Griffiths parents and where they were born
Couche, Crone, Roache, Dawson, Hatch, Griffiths, Morris,  Ireland England and Australia. Forbes, Fraser Scotland England and Australia

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffiths (circa 1805-52) Master Mason and Builder Trevethin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 22 05:14 BST (UK) »
Morning Genie65

Just for reference when did John remarry and where were the family living in 1851??  Could you post a link

Thanks Kay

Sorry - just found him in 1851

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 22 07:02 BST (UK) »
John Griffiths is indicated to be born on 1851 Census to be born in MANTWILL GLAMORGAN but this does not exist so am trying to find out what this place might be.
It must be the census enumerator trying to write a Welsh name. I have been looking at Welsh place names and I wonder if it was Manmoel? About 10 miles from Trevethin.  ???
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 22 21:43 BST (UK) »
burial at St Cadoc's 19 Aug 1852 John Griffiths 45 of Pontypool.

He hadn't made a will but Margaret administered his estate

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rkk/

The first letter of the place name could be N and Nant is not an uncommon part of a Welsh place name.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 22 22:51 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 census, I believe the place name starts with N (not M)
Another suggestion - Nantymoel, in the Parish of Llangeinor, Glamorganshire.

Where does 1806 as John Griffith's birth year come from? Both 1841 and 1851 census suggest a little later than that - more like 1809.

Noting that John and Sarah’s first child was named Mary Elizabeth.
Here are a couple of possible baptisms to consider.

Baptism 8 Mar 1809 Llandaff
John GRIFFITH – parents William and Elizabeth

Baptism 15 Jul 1810 Wick
John GRIFFITH (38 days) - parents William and Elizabeth
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline genie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 22 03:08 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  so much for your prompt reply. I did find the will relatives said John was before he died and MARGARET was a good women John Griffiths according to his death records   say he was 47 in 1852 when he died  but I suspect it may have been later too

Sarah Morris his wife died in1842 of Typhoid on ancestry death records she is noted as 37 in 1842 She I think would be buried in buried in St Cadoc's, perhaps in a special part with her son re the disease   Further I wondered if you knew how could possibly obtain  their burial records from St CARDOCS for this couple and wondered if their parents would be noted on these documents

The only records that fit for Sarah Morris Griffiths (George St Trevethin ) birth marriage records and marriage I found are in St Phillips and Jacobs Bristol I wondered  how I might be able to obtain  burial records for St CARDOCS Trevethin as all the family seem to be baptized and buried there and wondered if their parents are generally noted on these documents

I was told that NANTYMOEL did not exist until later unless it was the name of a particular farm in Glamorgan. I will research William and Elizabeth Griffiths as Johns parents and the location that is very helpful information Thankyou
Couche, Crone, Roache, Dawson, Hatch, Griffiths, Morris,  Ireland England and Australia. Forbes, Fraser Scotland England and Australia

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 22 04:39 BST (UK) »
I wondered if you knew how could possibly obtain  their burial records from St CARDOCS for this couple and wondered if their parents would be noted on these documents
Parents names are not on burial records, unless it is a child where at times the father might be named.
Burial record transcripts for St Cardocs are available on FreeReg.
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5cd0b4e7f493fdf9c6f46900/sarah-griffiths-burial-monmouthshire-trevethin-1842-02-27?locale=en