Author Topic: 2nd Boer War, British South African Police and West Kent Yeomanry  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
2nd Boer War, British South African Police and West Kent Yeomanry
« on: Thursday 26 May 22 11:22 BST (UK) »
I am trying to piece together my grandad's time in Africa. I know he went to the 2nd Boer War and that he was in the British South African Police (Rhodesia) before emigrating further to join the Canadian Mounted Police. I have no dates from when he went to Africa, what regiments(?) he was attached to, how he travelled there (the route) or when he left. His name was 'Claude' William Laurence Champion born 1881. I understand he went with his brother Sidney Champion who was approx 6(?) years younger but info on him is even harder to find.
The reason I ask about the West Kent Yeomanry is that when my mum died she left me various trinkets one of which was a West Kent yeomanry badge with a horse on its hind legs with invicta underneath. Was this my grandads? Did he sign up for the W Kent Yeomanry to go out to Africa? Any pointers would be gratefully received.
Champion, Offen, Sanders, Mercer, Edwards, Baker, Kemp, King, Bell - Kent
Richards, Dening, Zealley/Zeally - Dorset
Hills, Cottington, Osborn/e - Sussex
Faithfull - Hampshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Boer War, British South African Police and West Kent Yeomanry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
Is this the family from Kent, father William Joseph Champion?

If so William and Sidney are both in Tonbridge on the 1901 census.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 22 11:57 BST (UK) »
The reason I ask about the West Kent Yeomanry is that when my mum died she left me various trinkets one of which was a West Kent yeomanry badge with a horse on its hind legs with invicta underneath.

There was a Lieutenant Sydney George Champion in the West Kent Yeomanry in WW1. Served in Africa with Royal Fusiliers attached to Kings African Rifles. Died of wounds  in 1917. Widow Winifred Phillis Champion, 22 Priory Road, Tonbridge. Parents Sydney Joseph and Mary Ann.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1420619/sydney-george-champion/

There's an account of the action here: https://www.liverpoolmedals.com/product/military-medal-2nd-k-a-r-nambanje

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
I see from Claude/William's CEF papers that he had scars from a bullet wound which he said was from the Boer War, from August 1901.

So he must have gone to South Africa after the census (April 1901) and before August 1901.

There is a W Champion on the medal roll of the British South Africa Police, with clasps for Orange Free State and Transvaal. Number 1468.

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Shaun
That is brilliant, thank you. That ties up a lot of loose ends! I had previously seen the Commonwealth War Graves  page about Sydney but not a report about the battle he was in. That must mean the W Kent Yeomanry badge was his. My aunt's second name was Sydney, named after him.
Going back to my grandad Wm L Champion, do you think there is any way of finding out what engagements he was involved with in the Boer War?
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 22 12:56 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at the award for the South Africa medal and that was awarded in April 1901 so he had to have gone to the Boer war before then. If he was awarded clasps for Orange Free State and Transvaal, I wonder what date they would have been? By the 1901 census I would guess both William and Sydney had returned home from the Boer War. I have the front page for WL Champion's CEF attestation papers but not the one mentioning the wound although I feel I have seen it previously...
Faithfull - Hampshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 22 17:01 BST (UK) »
I've just had a look at the award for the South Africa medal and that was awarded in April 1901 so he had to have gone to the Boer war before then

No that's not right. The authority to grant medals was given in April 1901, but the medal rolls would not have been prepared until after the war ended in 1902.

The two troopers either side of W Champion in the medal roll, Challen and Cockerham, both joined the British South African Police on 4 June 1901 per this nominal roll (which annoyingly does not include W Champion): https://www.bsapolice.org/members/nominal-roll/

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 22 09:22 BST (UK) »
Claude's Canadian army service record - 60 pages. It takes a little time to load: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1614-S059

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
A few jottings on Claude's subsequent movements:

7 Sept 1907: arrives Montreal on the Victorian from Liverpool. Wm Champion, 25, headed for Oak Lake, Manitoba

June 1908: crosses into USA. William Champion, 25, cook, father W J Champion, Tunbridge. Last residence Vancouver. References arrival on the Victorian in 1907
June 1909: crosses into USA again. William L Champion, 26, cook, heading to friend Albert Baker in California. Last residence Vancouver. References arrival on the Victorian in 1907
1910: US census, Contra Costa, California. Claud W Champion, 26, born Africa, waiter
There's also:
1911: Canada census: Vancouver C Wm (transcribed as S Wm) Champion 26 born England 1884, Gunsmith. Not sure about that one - most other records from this era including 1916 CEF attestation record that he was a cook.