Author Topic: Mauchline, Ayrshire - Hewitson  (Read 303 times)

Offline Birnro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mauchline, Ayrshire - Hewitson
« on: Thursday 26 May 22 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been trying to find Hewitson forbears who previously lived at Gateside, Cumnock Road, in Mauchline, Ayrshire. i have found evidence of a James Hewitson (son of retired forestry worker Robert Hewitson) living at this address in the early 1980s.

Does anyone know if "Gateside" is the name of a house or a farm cottage and its precise location?

Thanks in advance.

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mauchline, Ayrshire - Hewitson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 22 12:00 BST (UK) »
Sounds like the name of the house to me. If you search for it on rightmove or primelocation you might find a sale of the house. They have records going back for years,

Martin

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 22 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Birnro

Do you mean 1880s, though I see this from 1958:

Agnes Howatson, aged 78, married to James Howatson, Smallholder (retired) died at Gateside, Cumnock Road, Mauchline on 19th July 1958.
https://hamiltonancestry.com/getperson.php?personID=I465&tree=Hamilton&sitever=standard

The 1940 Valuation Rolls for this couple I think show:

James HOWATSON
Tenant
LAND SMALLHOLDING NO 6 GRASSMILLEES CUMNOCK ROAD MAUCHLINE VILLAGE
MAUCHLINE
VR009000229-

Also shows there in 1935. The 1925 & 1930 VRs helps further:

James HOWATSON
Tenant
LAND SMALLHOLDING GATESIDE NO 6 GRASSMILLEES
MAUCHLINE
1930 (further entry like this in 1925)
VR009000201-

On what document do you have the reference to Gateside?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Birnro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 22 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both Martin and Monica for your help.

Monica,  I obtained the "Gateside, Cumnock Road, Mauchline" address from James Hewitson's 1984 death certificate.

In addition I have found a newspaper article from The Galloway Gazette 19 Jan 1952 which refers to the sale of livestock at Ayr Auction Mart. Amongst other livestock sales, the article mention the sale of “a non pedigree  calving heffer from Mr. J. Hewatson (sic), Gateside, Mauchline made £93”.

Regards,

Birnro

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 22 11:15 BST (UK) »
James Hewitson married Agnes Hamilton, Straiton, 1906

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 22 11:21 BST (UK) »
From 1911 census for Straiton

Robert Howatson, 60, James H, 33, Agnes H, 30, Robert H, 4, Jane (Jeanie) Steel H, 0.

There was another son, James, born 1913. All children were Hewitsons

Jean Steele Hewitson died age 92, Old Cumnock, 2003. Married name, Rennie

Jean Steele Howatson married Robert Rennie, Mauchline, 1937

Robert Hewitson died, age 77, Mauchline, 1984

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 22 13:50 BST (UK) »
Gateside is on the Cumnock Road just south of Mauchline Village Centre and the junction with Catrine Road.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Birnro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 22 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kloumann and Ian for your posts.

I already knew about James’s earlier life in Straiton (he was born on 14 December 1876 in Carsphairn, Kirkudbrightshire) plus details of his marriage to Agnes Hamilton in 1906 (in Straiton) plus their children Robert (b. 1906); Jean Steel Howatson (b. 1910); Helen Marr Howatson (b. circa 1912).

The other Hewitson which you refer to (James Hewitson b. 1913 in Straiton) is unfortunately not related to James and Agnes Hewitson’s family nor to other Hewitson forebears who lived in the Dalmellington and Carsphairn areas.

Thank you Ian for the OS Map extract. This is exactly the information I needed to locate where the above James plus his son Robert and grandson James latterly lived in Mauchline.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 22 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Birnro,
Have you ever discovered the first use and origin of the Hewitson / Howatson name ?
I have my own odd theories about name origins and their derivations from place names.   Just south-south west of Gateside is Haughyett ( said quickly in east Ayrshire tongue sounds like Howat ) and continue south to Haughhead, Haugh, Haugh Farm, and Haughholm on the banks of the River Ayr and further west on the Ayr is Barskimming Mill
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.