Author Topic: William Evan Davies - Baptist Minister 1881  (Read 255 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Evan Davies - Baptist Minister 1881
« on: Monday 30 May 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking for help in trying to find William Evan Davies in 1881 (and 1871 if possible).

He was born 02Nov1861 Llanddarog (more specifically Pontyberem), (his parent John Davies and Mary Davies married 05Jul1861, Llanarthney). I think the middle name Evan was adopted later in life. From family documents, kindly supplied by someone else, I know a reasonable amount about him (see below). What is slightly strange is that he does not appear in census records with his parents. He first “emerges” in 1891 as a lodger William E. Davies, Baptist Minister of Llanddarog, Carmarthenshire, living at Pleasant view, Penboyr, Carmarthenshire with a John Jones age 35, Cabinet Maker of Llangeler. He is not with his paternal grandparents in 1871 or 1881. He could be with his maternal grandparents but unfortunately I not know much about them: his Mother Mary Davies (1838-1913) on the marriage record gives her address as Felin Cwnmawr and her father was John Davies, Collier, she was born Llanarthney. I haven’t been able to trace her back through the censuses. The below states he was brought up near Pontypridd.

" in 1887 they called the minister (present) Rev W.E. Davies. He was at that time a student a Haverfordwest College. Mr. Davies is a native of Pontyberem. The names of his parents were John and Mary Davies. He was brought up not far from Pontypridd and received his education at Llanwonno and Pontypridd. He was baptised in Rhondda chapel on 30Mar1878 and started preaching in 1880. After he decided to become a preacher he went to Pontypridd Academy in readiness for the college. Called to Haverfordwest college in July 1884 and ordained a minister in Drefach (Velindre) 20 Nov 1887”.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Evan Davies - Baptist Minister 1881
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 22 16:23 BST (UK) »
Sometimes a fresh look is helpful! I looked again with fresh eyes and think I have found him in 1881 at Pantygraigwen, Pontypridd, living with his brother David Davies and an Unknown Aunt, Ann Evans

Ann Evans 49, Head, Widow, Glamorgansire
William Davies, 19, Nephew, Carmarthenshire
David Davies, 17, Nephew, Carmarthenshire

In 1891 David is at the same address in 1891 with another brother Thomas Davies age 22, both give their birthplace as Llannon.

Sadly David and Thomas both died in the Explosion at the Great Western Colliery, Hopkinstown, Pontypridd in 1893 and were buried back in Pontyberem

Still have 1871 to resolve. Finding our where the aunt Ann Evans fits in might help, but no obvious matches for her either yet.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Evan Davies - Baptist Minister 1881
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 22 20:26 BST (UK) »
More by luck than judgement plus a lot of clicking on records I have found him in 1871, again with Ann and at the same address. This time Ann is with her Husband Thomas Evans a Tea Dealer who is 38 years old and from Llangunnor. Ann is from Merthyr. William is incorrectly described as William Evans and their son, rather than nephews, he is age 9 and it says he is from Llangendeirne. Still have to work out how Thomas and Ann are related.