Author Topic: William McLean  (Read 325 times)

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William McLean
« on: Monday 30 May 22 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I’m hoping for some help, please. This post may be a bit long, but please bear with…

My 3x great-grandfather William McLean was born about 1843 in Rutherglen. His origins remain a mystery to me and his parents have proved elusive. In the past year I’ve discovered that he was raised by the Docherty family and used that surname in the years prior to his marriage.

He’s recorded as “William Lee” on the 1851 census, a 7-yr-old boy who “Resides” with Andrew and Margaret Dochedy, and their children Elizabeth, James and Margaret, at Main Street, Rutherglen. (I believe Andrew is a mistake and should actually say Edward)

On the 1861 census, he’s living in Kilwinning, Ayrshire, under the name “William Dougherty.” He’s described as a brother to the head of the household, another William Dougherty. This older William is married to Margaret and has five children. James Dougherty, another brother, is also living there.

An illegitimate daughter named Janet was born in March 1861 at Rutherglen to Jane McComb(s). Her name on her birth certificate was Janet Docherty, and both parents registered the birth. Baby Janet is tacked on to the very end of the 1861 census pages for Rutherglen. Her address is 38 Main Street, the home of her grandmother, Ruth McCombs.

William and Jane married on 31 December 1861 at Chapel, in the parish of Cambusnethan. He was resident of Chapel, Jane resident of Rutherglen. He is 20, she is 22. William’s parents are named as William McLean, Weaver (Deceased) and Betsy McLean. No maiden surname is given for his mother.

William and Jane’s illegitimate daughter Janet died in March 1862 at Chapel. Her surname at death was McLean.

William and Jane had 11 more children:

Sarah - b. 1862, Chapel (died aged 13mos)
Thomas - b. 1864, Chapel
James - b. 1866, Chapel
Margaret Docherty - b. 1868, Waterloo
William - b. 1870, Overtown (died aged 2yrs)
Janet - b. 1872, Larkhall (died aged 6yrs)
William - b. 1874, Larkhall
Rebecca Love - b. 1875, Larkhall (died aged 7yrs)
Jane - b. 1877, Larkhall (died aged 15mos)
Peter - b. 1879, Larkhall
George Simpson - b. 1882, Larkhall

The McLeans moved to Larkhall in around 1872, and William died there in 1887. Daniel Munro, a neighbour, registered his death. He named William’s parents as George McLean, a labourer, and Rebecca McLean, maiden surname McLean.

I’ve spent some time researching the Docherty family to see if I can find any link to William or any McLean family, to no avail. There appears to be two branches of the family descended from two brothers, Edward (the Andrew “William Lee” resided with as a child), and James, the sons of Edward Docherty and Rebecca Glen.

Edward/Andrew Docherty’s daughter Margaret married her cousin, James Docherty Love, son of John Love and Rebecca Docherty. The Loves later moved to Larkhall and lived near to William and his family.

Seeing as my William McLean named two of his daughters after Margaret Docherty and Rebecca Love, I’m certain that William Lee/William Docherty/William McLean are all the same man.

I’ve checked the Kirk Sessions for Rutherglen and can find no mention of little William being placed with the Docherty family or anything similar.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could look next to discover William’s parentage?

Thanks in anticipation!
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William McLean
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 22 20:37 BST (UK) »
William and Jane married on 31 December 1861 at Chapel, in the parish of Cambusnethan. He was resident of Chapel, Jane resident of Rutherglen. He is 20, she is 22. William’s parents are named as William McLean, Weaver (Deceased) and Betsy McLean. No maiden surname is given for his mother.
How, exactly, is his mother's name shown?

Because if it just says 'Betsy McLean' and not 'Betsy McLean MS McLean' then it means that he was illegitimate.

I’ve checked the Kirk Sessions for Rutherglen and can find no mention of little William being placed with the Docherty family or anything similar.
From 1845 looking after the poor, including orphans, was the resposibility of the Parochial Board, not the kirk. You need to find out if the Rutherglen Parochial Board records have survived, and if so check them for any record of William.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian and thanks

I definitely think William was illegitimate.

The marriage certificate reads:

"William McLean
Weaver
(Deceased)
Betsy McLean"

re. the Parochial Board. I'll check that out, thanks!
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 06:30 BST (UK) »
Janet McLean, aged 13 months, daughter of William McLean & Jane McComb of Chapel, was given a pauper's burial in Cambusnethan cemetery on 29th March 1862.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 06:34 BST (UK) »
Also their daughter Sarah, aged 13 months, was given a pauper's funeral at Cambusnethan 6th January 1864.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for those, Lodger. I didn't have them.

Cheers!