Author Topic: Engineer  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Clear

• --
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Engineer
« on: Tuesday 31 May 22 17:30 BST (UK) »
The use of the word Engineer has changed over time.  In the early 19th Century the civilian title Engineer was a very high position like an Architect. It was also a Navy rank.  Words like Fitter or Machinist were used for lower "shop floor" jobs.

There is also a Chartered Engineer.

Today however the word Engineer is everywhere and hundreds of thousands of people say "I'm a good engineer" in connection with hundreds of different occupations.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 22 22:42 BST (UK) »
Is there any particular point behind your post?  Is it perhaps related to another post about engineers?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 22 23:20 BST (UK) »
Many occupations and their titles have changed over time. An Engineer also used to be another name for an engine driver or anyone who looked after any kinds of engines.

I disagree that the word “engineer” is everywhere these days. I’ve never heard anyone say  “I’m a good engineeer” in relation to any other occupations, or in fact anything ever.   ::) 

….. and what does it matter if they do?  :-\

I don’t understand the relevance of fitter or machinist if you are interested in the occupation ‘engineer’.

If there anything is anything specific you want to know about engineers I’m sure a simple Google search will give you lots of results and answer any questions you have about this and other occupations.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 00:44 BST (UK) »

I don’t understand the relevance of fitter .... if you are interested in the occupation ‘engineer’.

My father was born 1910.  He attended a technical college from the age of ten, then was employed by a heavy engineering company where he had the statutory five years apprenticeship with day release & evening class  plus another couple of years evening class to gain extra exam results  thus spent seven years learning to be what is known as a "fitter": the correct title being "mechanical engineer".  His parents paid the company for his apprenticeship - the money was used to give him a weekly wage.  Being an apprentice didn't guarantee that a company would employ the apprentice when his five year term was finished. 

P.S. On one census he had moved into the "Drawing Office" from the "shop floor" and would have described himself as a "draughtsman" designing heavy equipment for the engineering company.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 00:58 BST (UK) »
My brother was a fitter, but he wasn’t an engineer, nor did he describe himself as one.  :)

Descriptions, tasks and titles given to occupations vary by era, time, country etc, - lots of ‘crossover’.

I don’t understand what “AngelJunction” wants to find out about the occupation “engineer”, if anything.

I don’t think her opening post was clear. 

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 01:08 BST (UK) »
My brother was a fitter, but he wasn’t an engineer.

Descriptions, tasks and titles given to occupations vary by era, time, country etc, - lots of ‘crossover’.

Coincidentally, my father, his four brothers and their father were all qualified engineers, but my father was the only one who was a "fitter"   :D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 10:18 BST (UK) »
I also wondered why AngelJunction had posted this info hence my reply above as it does not seem to have any relevance.

I thought she may have been replying to an actual post but created a new topic by mistake

Perhaps she could clarify??  If it was meant to be a reply elsewhere the moderator can move it for her
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 11:36 BST (UK) »
I also wondered why AngelJunction had posted this info hence my reply above as it does not seem to have any relevance.

I thought she may have been replying to an actual post but created a new topic by mistake

Perhaps she could clarify??  If it was meant to be a reply elsewhere the moderator can move it for her

Yes, perhaps this was posted in error. Let’s hope AJ returns soon to clarify.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 22 13:31 BST (UK) »

Yes, perhaps this was posted in error. Let’s hope AJ returns soon to clarify.

It's noticeable when looking at job vacancy websites that there are adverts to fill all sorts of modern engineers.

I can guess at this railway station vacancy, but would my guess be right?

"Technical Assurance engineer"