Author Topic: Latin Will of Richard Hochinson of Wikeham 1510  (Read 271 times)

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Latin Will of Richard Hochinson of Wikeham 1510
« on: Thursday 02 June 22 11:35 BST (UK) »
Could you please help me with the translation of the attached latin will of Richard Hochinson of Wikeham (Wykeham) Yorkshire dated 1510. I have attached it in three parts. Part One is attached to this message.
Thanks,
Gerelle Lovegrove.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Will of Richard Hochinson of Wikeham 1510
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 22 11:36 BST (UK) »
Part 2 attached

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 June 22 11:37 BST (UK) »
 :)

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 22 11:38 BST (UK) »
Part 3 attached.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 22 16:18 BST (UK) »
A couple of words I can't get, sorry.

[part 1]
In the name of God Amen, the 25th day of the month of September in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and ten. I Richard Hochinson of Wykeham, being of sound mind and in health, make my will in this manner. First I bequeath my soul to Almighty God, the Blessed Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in my parish church, before the pulpit. Item, I bequeath for my mortuary my best beast. Item, I bequeath to the Lady Prioress 3s. 4d, and to each of her sisters 12d. Item, to the same lady for making absolution, 12d. Item, I bequeath ten young puppies[?] to Richard Redehede my godson, […?] the pasture at Peyk. Item, I bequeath to George my son 12 silver spoons, one red […?], one counter-table, one wooden box of spruce and another hanging in the Hall, with the bench-covers and one folding table.

[part 2]
Item, I bequeath to each house of Brothers in whose fraternity I have been received, 3s. 4d. Item, I bequeath to my parish church of Wykeham for my burial, 6s. 8d.  Item, I bequeath to Thomas Hochinson my son the wool I bought that is lying at Wykeham Abbey. Item, I bequeath to Matilda my wife my wool at Leeds. Item, I bequeath to Master Ralph Evers, knight, 10s., so that he should be kindly to my executors. Item, I bequeath to a suitable chaplain to celebrate mass for the health of my soul and of all the faithful departed in the church of Wykeham, (a sum) at the discretion of my executors, once my debts and other obligations have been paid and completed. Item, I bequeath to Thomas my son one plough and one wagon with their appurtenances, four oxen, three cows and four horses, and my dung-tub with appurtenances. Item, I bequeath to Robert Stokton, chaplain, 12d.

[part 3]
Item, I bequeath to John Bycar, chaplain, for praying for me, 12d. Item, I bequeath to Robert Redehede and Thomas Huchinson my sons a derelict dwelling or waste within the town of Scarborough which I held from the gift and feoffment of a certain Henry Robynson. The remainder of all my goods, my debts having been paid, I give and consign to Matilda my wife and Thomas my son, whom I make executors of this will, so that they should distribute it for the health of my soul just as may seem best to them to do. These being witnesses, Master Robert Stokton, chaplain, Richard Furdon, Henry Thomson, with others, and I have signed with my usual seal, dated the abovesaid day and year.
Proved by the Dean in that place, by power of commission, and administration granted, etc.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 22 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your wonderful service.
Gerelle Lovegrove.