Author Topic: Which Flora McKinnon?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Flora McKinnon?
« on: Friday 03 June 22 21:01 BST (UK) »
John McLean, son of Donald and Ann (mn McLean) died aged 80 in Tobermory on 27th August 1877. He was married to Flora McKinnon and the death registered by his son Lachlan.
Flora daughter of Charles McKinnon and Sheila (mn Mcfadyen) died aged 83 in Tobermory on 4th November 1895 and the death registered by her son Angus.
This family can be traced through all the Coll census records. Flora and some of her family were on Tiree in 1881.

John and Flory McKinnon were married on 3rd June 1825; John from Trotronald and Flory from Knoclean (not found this place name).

There is a baptismal record for a Flory McKinnon at Ardnish on 19th September 1793 daughter of Charles and Julia (mn McPhaiden) which would suggest Angus had misremembered his grandmother's name.

However! This would in fact make Flora nearly 100yrs when she died and 50yrs when she had her last child, having started her family when in her late 20s.

In trying to find an answer to this I have come across another family tree which claims Flora was born on Tiree at Kirkapol to Donald and Catherine (mn McLean) and baptised on 10th March 1806. This FT has listed the same offspring I have, plus 2 extras - Catherine b 1826 Tiree and Hugh 1828 b Tiree. John is variously described as a joiner or a wright.
The birth date for this Flora would be more in line with the census but I have not found a death record for this Flora.

I would appreciate any comments on this problem.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Flora McKinnon?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 22 21:13 BST (UK) »

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 22 21:18 BST (UK) »
There is this birth. (Not Knockline but has a McPhaiden)

MCKINNON
FLORA
HUGH MCKINNON/EFFY MCPHAIDEN
F
11/01/1804
551/1
10 227
Tyree

What are the names of John & Flora’s children?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 22 22:21 BST (UK) »
This looks to be 1841 for the family www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a141662f4040b9d6efdc721/julia-mclean-1841-argyllshire-tyree-coll-1831-?locale=en

The names of their early born children I would think correspond closely with the names of grandparents: Donald McLean and Ann, Charles McKinnon and Julia McFadyen.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 June 22 22:23 BST (UK) »

There is a baptismal record for a Flory McKinnon at Ardnish on 19th September 1793 daughter of Charles and Julia (mn McPhaiden) which would suggest Angus had misremembered his grandmother's name.

However! This would in fact make Flora nearly 100yrs when she died and 50yrs when she had her last child, having started her family when in her late 20s.

Not uncommon for a child to die young and for parents to re-use the name for a later child. It may just be that Flora's birth/christening is not to be found and only the first Flora's details are to be found on the registers.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 June 22 22:32 BST (UK) »

In trying to find an answer to this I have come across another family tree which claims Flora was born on Tiree at Kirkapol to Donald and Catherine (mn McLean) and baptised on 10th March 1806. This FT has listed the same offspring I have, plus 2 extras - Catherine b 1826 Tiree and Hugh 1828 b Tiree. John is variously described as a joiner or a wright.
The birth date for this Flora would be more in line with the census but I have not found a death record for this Flora.

I think there may be at least two couples with the same names, having children in the general area at the same time (by general I mean one in Coll and the other in Tiree  ::)) . Never helps!

From the index on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, one set of children look to be registered in Tiree and then you have the line you are looking at, registered in Coll. The 1841 census listing is helpful in this respect.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 22 22:42 BST (UK) »

Can't easily see this one on SP. There is this one though:

FLORY MCKINNON
CHARLES MCKINNON/JULIAN MCPHAIDEN
05/04/1797
Ref 551/210 37
Coll

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 22 23:21 BST (UK) »

John and Flory McKinnon were married on 3rd June 1825; John from Trotronald and Flory from Knoclean (not found this place name).

There is a Knocklean showing on the 1851 census for Coll. There are at least 6 households showing as living there that year.

Hard to find anything on it though for background.

Monica

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 June 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information posted.
Flory/Flora always gives her place of birth as Coll but I could not find Knockline on my old map.
I think I am confident my tree is correct as I have received some more information about the family now. It was Flora's dates which threw me as she had her first child, Donald in 1826, followed by Charles, Ann, Julia (all of which reflect their grandparents' names) Neil, Lachlan, Hector, Flora, Angus and Alex - born around 1847 though not found in the records, but a late child if she was nearly 50.
It did not seem possible that Flora could 'lose' about 8 years and the census and death records seemed to confirm she was born later than 1797. She may well have been the second child to be named Flora though the Coll baptismal records I believe are pretty accurate.
Thanks again for your interest.