Author Topic: Alexander Brown born circa 1785  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Brown born circa 1785
« on: Tuesday 07 June 22 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to track down the parents of my 3 x Great Grandfather, Alexander Brown. I know he was a Flesher (Butcher) in St Andrews. I also know that he was a seaman before that. He married a Barbara Fletcher b. 1785 in St Andrews in 1814. I believe he died suddenly in December 1830 when he was "middle aged", according to a newspaper report of his death. So I guess he was born around 1780 - 1790. There is no information about his parents on his entry in the register of deaths on Scotland's People. My only hope is to use DNA to find some matches who have a candidate for Alexander in their trees. So, does anyone have an Alexander Brown b. 1780 - 1790 in their trees who could be my guy? And if so, do you have a DNA test on one of the usual sites, so we can see if we have a match? Thanks.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Brown born circa 1785
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk If Alexander died in St Andrews this may be the record. Statutory Registration began in 1855.

BROWN   ALEXANDER   17/12/1830   St Andrews and St Leonards

As mentioned.
ALEXANDER BROWN Married BARBARA FLETCHER 20/11/1814   St Andrews and St Leonards

BROWN children baptised St Andrews and St Leonards
ALEXANDER   28/06/1815
DAVID FLETCHER 18/01/1818
JOHN FLETCHER   24/02/1822
WILLIAM   26/10/1824
GEORGE   28/02/1830

I guess this is Barbara?
BARBARA FLETCHER   Baptised    DAVID FLETCHER BARBARA ARMOT    06/11/1785   
St Andrews and St Leonards

That might indicate Alexander’s father was also Alexander if they followed the Scottish naming pattern but not all did. As it happens below is the only one in St Andrews in the period.

ALEXANDER BROWN   Baptised    ALEXANDER BROWN ANNE FORTUNE    07/04/1782   St Andrews and St Leonards

It might be worth following up, his seaman's records might help?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 11:21 BST (UK) »
You may have this 1851 census?

BROWN   Barbara   Head   W   64      Fife   St Andrews - Address possibly West Burn Lane
BROWN   George   Son   -   19   Student   Fife   St Andrews   

Colin   
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:34 BST (UK) »

What is your source for these two pieces of information?

"I know he was a Flesher (Butcher) in St Andrews".

"I also know that he was a seaman before that".

How are you descended from Alexander BROWN and Barbara FLETCHER...through which son/daughter?

What do you have for marriage of this closer ancestor, your 2 x great grandparent?

When/where/who for their marriage...when/where for their death please.

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:54 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census Barbary(sic) Brown (52) is living in Golf Place, St Andrews, with Ann Brown (20), John Brown (18), William Brown 15) and George Brown (11).  The presence of Ann Brown may further indicate that this family followed the Scottish naming pattern.  (But no sign of a daughter named Barbara Brown, however.)

Margow

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 13:09 BST (UK) »

What is your source for these two pieces of information?

"I know he was a Flesher (Butcher) in St Andrews".

"I also know that he was a seaman before that".

How are you descended from Alexander BROWN and Barbara FLETCHER...through which son/daughter?

What do you have for marriage of this closer ancestor, your 2 x great grandparent?

When/where/who for their marriage...when/where for their death please.

Info re: Seaman is in the parish register entry for his marriage to Barbara Fletcher.

Info re: Flesher is in the parish register entry for the birth of his son, John Fletcher Brown, and also on John Fletcher Brown's marriage certificate (although this was in Wales in 1858, so Butcher is used). Lastly, what I believe to be a report of his death in a local newspaper in 1830 describes him as a Flesher.

I am descended from Alexander through the aforementioned John Fletcher Brown. He married Ann Jones in Betws Y Coed, Caernarvonshire (sic) on 25/12/1858. He died in 1902 and is buried in St Michael's churchyard, in Betws.

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk If Alexander died in St Andrews this may be the record. Statutory Registration began in 1855.

BROWN   ALEXANDER   17/12/1830   St Andrews and St Leonards

As mentioned.
ALEXANDER BROWN Married BARBARA FLETCHER 20/11/1814   St Andrews and St Leonards

BROWN children baptised St Andrews and St Leonards
ALEXANDER   28/06/1815
DAVID FLETCHER 18/01/1818
JOHN FLETCHER   24/02/1822
WILLIAM   26/10/1824
GEORGE   28/02/1830

I guess this is Barbara?
BARBARA FLETCHER   Baptised    DAVID FLETCHER BARBARA ARMOT    06/11/1785   
St Andrews and St Leonards

That might indicate Alexander’s father was also Alexander if they followed the Scottish naming pattern but not all did. As it happens below is the only one in St Andrews in the period.

ALEXANDER BROWN   Baptised    ALEXANDER BROWN ANNE FORTUNE    07/04/1782   St Andrews and St Leonards

It might be worth following up, his seaman's records might help?

Colin

Thanks Colin, yes, I have all that info, and the 1851 census entry.

And yes, that is the correct Barbara Fletcher. I have enough DNA matches to be sure of that.

I have seen the record of the Alexander Brown born to Alexander Brown and Ann Fortune, and I consider them to be the prime candidates for his parents, but I have no documentary evidence that verifies that. My only hope is to pick up some DNA matches, perhaps on the Fortune line.

Thanks again for your help

Offline WMO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 22 19:41 BST (UK) »
The records of the St Andrews Flesher Incorporation have been indexed by Fife Family History Society. The Society's indexes combine information from several sources.

Their entry for Alexander Brown gives information from the Incorporation of Fleshers records and combines it with the record of his death in the Fife Herald, 23 December 1830.

The important point is that the entry lists 'Alexander Brown, son of Alexander Brown miller in Peekie' who was apprenticed in 1792. There is more information, although not on his parentage, in the index, which is available to members of the Fife Family History Society.

However, although the Society's index links Alexander Brown to the death in 1830, I do not know whether the Flesher Incorporation's records state this or whether it has been assumed by the Society's indexer. You would need to check the Flesher Incorporation's original records (held by the University of St Andrews Library, Special Collections) to find out.

Peekie (or Peikie) Mill was at that time in St Leonards parish.

Regards,
Bill

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 June 22 20:00 BST (UK) »
The records of the St Andrews Flesher Incorporation have been indexed by Fife Family History Society. The Society's indexes combine information from several sources.

Their entry for Alexander Brown gives information from the Incorporation of Fleshers records and combines it with the record of his death in the Fife Herald, 23 December 1830.

The important point is that the entry lists 'Alexander Brown, son of Alexander Brown miller in Peekie' who was apprenticed in 1792. There is more information, although not on his parentage, in the index, which is available to members of the Fife Family History Society.

However, although the Society's index links Alexander Brown to the death in 1830, I do not know whether the Flesher Incorporation's records state this or whether it has been assumed by the Society's indexer. You would need to check the Flesher Incorporation's original records (held by the University of St Andrews Library, Special Collections) to find out.

Peekie (or Peikie) Mill was at that time in St Leonards parish.

Regards,
Bill

Bill, I think I might actually love you  ;D

Thank you so much for your reply. I think my membership of the FFHS has just run out, but I shall certainly head back over there.

One point. When it says that he was apprenticed in 1792, do you think it refers to Alexander Jr or his father?

The death report in the Fife Herald describes him as a "middle aged" man in 1830, so if he was apprenticed in 1792 (at 16?ish), he would have been 54 in 1830, so about right, I think?

Thanks again for your massive help.

Chris