Author Topic: Mary Ann Wilkes  (Read 638 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Wilkes
« on: Wednesday 08 June 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
So sorry to ask. I have tried and believe I am correct however would like to make sure I am chasing up the right path with my 3rd Great Grandmother Mary Ann Wilkes.

I know this is her maiden name because of the Birth record of her son Charles Belk in 1874. Mary Ann Wilkes married William Belk in July of 1864. The marriage record states that Mary's father is John Wilkes, a Whitesmith. William Belks occupation is a Metal Spinner.

In 1871 Census I have them living William Charles Belk, a spinner rope and twine living on 71 Pool Street in the St Johns Parish of Wolverhampton. Here it states that William is from Sheffield, Yorkshire and that Mary Ann is from Birmingham, Warwickshire. They have 4 children with them, William Henry Belk, Alice Belk, George Frederick Belk and John Belk. Alice, George and John are said to be from Wolverhampton, Staffordshire whereas William Henry Belk is said to be from Birmingham, Warwickshire.

In a 1881 census record, I believe I have them living on (Back of) Victoria Street, where William Belk is a Electroplater, again mentioning he is from Sheffield, Yorkshire. Mary Ann gives her birthplace of Birmingham, Warwickshire. They now have 6 Children living with them here. only 2 of which where in the 1871 census above. William H Belk from Birmingham, George Belk from Wolverhampton, Charles, Rose, Lucy and Nellie all from Birmingham. The possibility of this being the same family I would give are quite high, only that it is a diffrent occupation for father William and a different place of birth for George.

In the 1891 census, I believe the family (minus father William Belk) is living on Dymoke[?] Street in the Deritend part of Aston. Here Mary Ann is Tray Polisher from Birmingham. She is living here with 4 children and a lodger. Charles Belk, a Lamp Maker from Birmingham, Rose, Lucy, Nellie all from Birmingham. The Lodger is George Wilkes, a Blacksmith from Birmingham.

In 1901 a Mary Ann Belk is now living on Court 6 of Highgate Street in the St Patricks parish of Aston. Here Mary Ann is still a Tray Polisher from Birmingham. She is living with 1 daughter, 1 granddaughter and 2 boarders. Lucy Ashington, a [French?] Polisher from Birmingham. Elsie Ashington from Birmingham. Frederick Mellor, a [Looking?] Glass Mounter from Birmingham and a Sarah Mellor, a [French?] Polisher also from Birmingham.

It looks to be that Mary Ann Belk then dies in 1908 in Birmingham and was buried in Witton Cemetry, Aston.

I feel this is the right family however I am questioning the different occupations that her husband, William Belk has from being a Spinner rope and twine to a Electroplater.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Wilkes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 11:55 BST (UK) »
Going into Mary Ann Wilkes younger years, where her father is a Whitesmith;

I believe that Mary Ann Wilkes is the Mary Ann Wilkes living at 5 Court 3, Trent Street in the St Martins Ward of Birmingham in the 1861 census. The reason for this is because, like in the above census records, Mary Ann's occupation is a Tray Polisher from Birmingham.
In this census, John Wilkes is a Fine Iron Forger from Birmingham. Caroline (mother) is from Birmingham. There are also 4 other children excluding Mary living at the address. William Alfred Wilkes, George Frederick Wilkes, Harriott Wilkes and a Charles Wilkes all from Birmingham.
*It could this George, be the George Wilkes that is living at a lodger with Mary in the 1891 census.

Following this family back, I believe this family is visible in the 1851 census where they are living on 11 Court 6, Lombard Street in the Dertiend Ward of Aston. Here John Wilkes, A WHITESMITH from Birmingham is living with Caroline with their 5 children. Henry Wilkes, a Barf Founder from Birmingham. Mary A Wilkes, William Alfred Wilkes, John Wilkes and George Frederick Wilkes all from Birmingham.

I again believe this to be the same Mary Ann that I am related too, but if you see anything that I am porbably going off track on then please let me know. I am worried that I might be inputting incorrect information.

If this is the correct census records for Mary Ann, then I request some help in finding information in relation to both of her parents such as a marriage record. I have an Ancestry hint for Caroline Phillips many of which ancestry users have put in their family tree. I feel this is incorrect.

Thanks for any help given :)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that Mary Ann Wilkes looks to be born around 1844 in Birmingham.

If the census records look to be correct, then;
In 1851 Census, Mary Ann is 7 years old, which would put her birth year in 1844.
In 1861 census, Mary Ann is 18, which puts her birth year in 1843.
Her marriage record to William Belk in 1864 is 20 years old, which puts her birth year in 1844.
In 1871 census, Mary Ann is 28, which put her birth year in 1843.
In 1881 census, Mary Ann is 36, which puts her birth year in 1845.
In 1891 census, Mary Ann is 49, Which puts her birth year in 1842.
In 1901 census, Mary Ann is 57, which puts her birth year in 1844.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:10 BST (UK) »
All with a mother's maiden surname of WILKES....

BELK, WILLIAM  HENRY      
GRO Reference: 1865  M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 06D  Page 106

BELK, ALBERT        
GRO Reference: 1866  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 441

BELK, ALICE     
GRO Reference: 1868  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 466

BELK, GEORGE  FREDERICK      
GRO Reference: 1869  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 470

BELK, JOHN 
GRO Reference: 1871  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 06B  Page 526
(died Dec qtr 1871)

BELK, HARRIET        
GRO Reference: 1872  D Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 259
(died Sep qtr 1873)

BELK, CHARLES        
GRO Reference: 1874  J Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 274

BELK, ROSE   
GRO Reference: 1876  M Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 312

BELK, MARTINA        
GRO Reference: 1877  J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 06D  Page 110
(died June qtr 1879)

BELK, LUCY   
GRO Reference: 1879  S Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 246

BELK, NELLIE        
GRO Reference: 1881  M Quarter in KINGS NORTON  Volume 06C  Page 450

BELK, WALTER   
GRO Reference: 1883  S Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 286
(died March qtr 1884)

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Debra  :)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Some of those I did not have! Thank you for providing me with some of those names. I just hope they are all the same family haha. It seems like they kept themselves busy! 12 Children between 1865 and 1883.  :o

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:27 BST (UK) »
Baby George F. in 1851....

WILKES, GEORGE  FREDERICK
Mother's maiden surname: PHILLIPS     
GRO Reference: 1850  J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 16  Page 415

You can check the births of the other children, all with mmn of PHILLIPS except for Henry who was born before the marriage.  This might be him with no mmn indexed...

PHILLIPS, HENRY        -     
GRO Reference: 1838  D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 16  Page 301

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you, it seems like a fair few trees have Phillips as the mother's maiden name too.

The reason why I question whether it is is that I have found a marriage record for John Wilkes a Polisher to a Caroline Mellor on 18 Dec 1843 in St Phillips Church, Birmingham. With the maiden name Mellor, It reminded me of Mary Ann's 1901 census record where she has 2 boarders living with her also with the name Mellor. I was thinking maybe a family connection of some sort?

There is a marriage between John and Caroline Phillips on 24 March 1845 at St Martins Church, Birmingham. John Wilkes here is a Fine Iron Maker, which would make sense to that of the 1861 census record, his father a George Wilkes a Steel Toy Maker. Caroline Phillips father is John Phillips, a laborer.

These are the two records that I am stuck on with inputting Caroline's maiden name, as one gives the exact occupation in accordance with the 1861 census and the other is the maiden name of people living at the same address in 1891 census.
This is of course that the census records that I have for Mary Ann Wilkes are correct. To also add confusion, the marriage to Caroline Phillips in March 1845 would mean that Mary Ann, if born in 1843-1844 was an illegitimate child also, but the marriage to Mellor is 1843 would make her not.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Baby George F. in 1851....

WILKES, GEORGE  FREDERICK
Mother's maiden surname: PHILLIPS     
GRO Reference: 1850  J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 16  Page 415

You can check the births of the other children, all with mmn of PHILLIPS except for Henry who was born before the marriage.  This might be him with no mmn indexed...

PHILLIPS, HENRY        -     
GRO Reference: 1838  D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM  Volume 16  Page 301

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:50 BST (UK) »
Walter's baptism shows William's occupation as 'Britannia metal spinner'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8huGJdLCQ

Henry Wilkes, a Barf Founder from Birmingham.

The occupation is Brass founder.

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
That was an interesting watch. Would love to give it a go one day!

I also noted that in the Wiki link provided mentions "electroplated Britannia metal". This would confirm that it is the same family in the 1871 and 1881 census where I thought it was unusual that he was a Spinner and now he was a Electroplater. Thank you for providing me with those.

Walter's baptism shows William's occupation as 'Britannia metal spinner'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8huGJdLCQ

Henry Wilkes, a Barf Founder from Birmingham.

The occupation is Brass founder.