Author Topic: German translation please  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: German translation please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:21 BST (UK) »
Somebody obviously enjoyed quoting song texts on the photos!  ;D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:41 BST (UK) »
Here is another photo inscription - hope it's not too much trouble.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look in a mo.

First of all, I have to correct my translation of the first song!  :-[ (I had already written that I was not sure about "greans"...)
I asked an Austrian friend of mine about "Wo a greans Kranzerl winkt," and she said "greans" means "green" here. Also, "Kranzerl" can be the baked item I linked, but in this case it is a small "Kranz", i.e. a wreath or garland worn on the head.  ??? ::)

I think you have to be Austrian and intoxicated in order to understand what is going on here..!  ;D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D Thanks Karen, a green wreath on the head probably makes more sense in a drinking song than a great pastry - though I'd probably prefer the pastry!

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 June 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
The latest one:

We wish you, from the bottom of our hearts, happy (holidays) within the circle of your family and friends,
Your Paul & Elsy

Frohe Festtage is said when there is a (bank/special) holiday period coming up, such as Christmas.

And now I must get the mower out. You get your whatsits chopped off if you use a mower between 13:00-15:00 in Germany!  ;)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 June 22 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again! Don't let me keep you from the mowing.  ;D

I'm really wondering about the Austrian connection now. My g grandfather wrote on his Australian naturalisation that he was from Cassel. I'm still not certain where my g grandmother was from, somewhere in Germany, though they married in Australia. My grandfather was born in Oz, and I assume his parents spoke German at home. My grandfather worked for a Swiss company (in Australia) and went on this European tour in 1952, travelling around Switzerland with the couple in the photos, though I  don't know where they lived or how my grandparents knew them. Perhaps the postcards my help untangle the situation.

Thanks again for all your help, Karen and Zefiro.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 June 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
I finished mowing about 13:10. Tut, tut...  ;D
The neighbours aren't that sensitive here in the village, thank goodness.

It was only the first snippet that was in Austrian dialect - the others are Hochdeutsch. It could be that it was simply a popular drinking song in Germany and Switzerland, too.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 June 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen, that makes sense. Glad you didn't get in trouble with the neighbours!

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 June 22 12:32 BST (UK) »
;D ;D Thanks Karen, a green wreath on the head probably makes more sense in a drinking song than a great pastry - though I'd probably prefer the pastry!

Nearly all Pubs in England have a pub sign hanging on the front.

I think this coud be a green garland hanging in front of a wine parlour that sways (winkt) in the wind. Maybe called "Zum Grünen Kranz" or "Krug zum Grünen Kranz"

Wo a greans Kranzerl winkt
Thats where he will go, listen to music and drink wine till early morning

just a thought
Dave