Author Topic: Gludy a residence near Cradoc Fenny-Fach Breconshire  (Read 510 times)

Online Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Gludy a residence near Cradoc Fenny-Fach Breconshire
« on: Monday 20 June 22 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching an elusive David Williams, Gent of Battle, Breconshire. My latest reference to him  is David Williams, Bond, Alekeeper, of Brecon, 1710, and David Williams, Gent of Brecon's Will of 1704. These are both on-line at the Library of Wales Wills,

I have traced his marriage in 1695 to Jane Morgan of Aberyscir, to his father John Williams who was a bondsman in the above Will and to his grandmother Margarett Powell in another Will of 1686. Then back to David's father, another David Williams Gent of Battle, through comparisons of signatures in a couple of other documents. Then back to his grandfather (another) David Williams Gent. who was witness to the Will of Thomas Powell Morgan of Aberyskir in 1666.

And there I met a brick wall, except for a document in the Penpont Estate records at the NLW that reads:

"Description
1. John Havard of town of Brecon, gent. 2. William William of Gludy, co. Brecon, yeoman. Letters Of Attorney to receive seisin from Hugh Havard of the town of Brecon, gent., of five parcels of land called close tyr mynog, y Kayglase, close y davatty, close y Tair erow and wrlod wrth y ty in the parish of Llanspithett. Latin.
Related Titles
Penpont Estate Records,
Creation Date
1588, June 29."

Theophilus Jones recorded a monument to "William Williams of Lower Gludy" who died in 1613, leaving four children: Juan, Ales, Anest and Maud" (probably John, Alice, Anne, and Maud in modern terms) also monuments to "Richard Williams of Lower Gludy Gent. obit 1692" and "William Williams of Gludy his brother 1692"

So it looks like a Williams family held Gludy from at least 1588 to 1692.

All this looked perfectly good until I read another account by Theophilus Jones in his "History of the County of Brecknock" Vol2, p 198 referring to "The Ancient Freeholders" of Battle Parish as shown in the attachment. It refers to "The Mitchels of Pennoyre House".

The NLW has a series of Wills that seem to confirm ownership passing to from Catherine the daughter of David Williams of Battle d. 1704, who became the wife of Henry Brown,as described by Theophilus Jones.

I also checked with some tax documents for Battle in 1734 listed in the Penpont Estate records of the NLW and found that the a major estate was held by Ann Williams and Thomas Mitchell. There isn't a corresponding record for an estate held by them in the taxation records for any of the surrounding parishes.

I would be very grateful for data that would help clarify where David Williams d. 1704's family originated. My records indicate that they were solidly in Battle from 1666 to about 1695

1. Were the Parish boundaries in the early 1700s different from today, to the extent that Gludy was located in Battle at that time?  The village of Battle is very close to Gludy.

2. Were the Williams's of Gludy a different family from David Williams of Battle

3. I couldn't find the transaction between John Jeffreys of the Priory of Brecon and William David of Battle, who had those three sons: David Williams, Howell Williams, and John Williams. I suspect that the property passed from William David to William Williams, who died without a male heir, and that Hester took possession of the estate through her mother Anne, but not ownership.

I will be very surprised if a Rootschatter has further details regarding Q3, but it would really help if I could determine the answers to Q1 and Q2.

Cheers,

Llanfi ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser