Author Topic: Connecting the dots between ancestors. Anne Mills  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Gee2313

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connecting the dots between ancestors. Anne Mills
« on: Monday 20 June 22 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find information about my third great grandmother Ann "Annie" Mills. Ann was born around 1856 in Ireland to Charles Mills, a coachman, and Anne Jane Mills. I got this information from her death certificate. She died in Glasgow, Scotland at the age of 71 in 1927. I haven't been able to confirm her birth as i haven't found her birth record when searching. I haven't found any birth records for siblings but i know that she had a sister Margaret. Margaret's marriage record confirms that her father is Charles Mils, a coachmaker and sister Anne was present at their wedding. Margaret and her husband Robert were also present for Anne's wedding. Margaret was born in Donagh, Monaghan  6 Jan 1845 and also appears to have a older sister also called Margaret born in 1845 to Charles Mills and Jane Lee also Donagh (St Salvatore's), Monaghan.
in one of the census from Scotland, Anne's nephew Robert Mills is shown living with them, but i haven't been able to find any records of parents, but this does suggest that Anne might have a brother.

I've searched for a birth for an Ann Jane Lee from 1807-1827 and one Ann Lee popped up in Monaghan born in 1813 also in Donagh (St Salvatore's) in Monaghan but i can't confirm either way whether this is the right record.

I'd also looked at maybe looking into the names of Anne's children to see if they could provide some clues. They don't seem to follow the typical Irish naming conventions, but  she had 12 children, most of them born in Ireland but some in Scotland and they all have middle names and there could be clues there.

I also checked the Griffith's valuation and I've come up empty. Is there anything else i could try? I feel i'm maybe missing something and maybe there's something i haven't thought to try.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting the dots between ancestors. Anne Mills
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:06 BST (UK) »
Is this Annie’s wedding? You don’t seem to mention her married name. The spouse is William McFarland and witnesses are Maggie Mills and Robert Stockdale.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11286/8140335.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
When and where was the nephew Robert Mills born?

Offline Gee2313

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:09 BST (UK) »
Oh, my apologies, I don't know how i missed mentioning his name. Yes, William McFarland is my 3rd Great Grandfather and Robert Stockdale is the Husband of Annie's sister Margaret.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of details you haven't included in your original post  :-\

Marriage of Margaret Mills, father Charles Mills (coachman) to Robert Stockdale took place in Derry Registry Office-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11244/8123479.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:12 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:12 BST (UK) »
Death of a Charles Mills, age 26- father Charles Mills a coachman-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06278/4798701.pdf

SNAP

Offline Gee2313

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:17 BST (UK) »
When and where was the nephew Robert Mills born?

Robert was aged 23 and born in Ireland according to the 1911 Scotland census.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 22 09:19 BST (UK) »
Occupation given as labourer but only other Charles Mills death in Derry registration district in 1800s- widower and daughter Eliza J. Mills was informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05821/4648157.pdf
Correction- informant was 'daughter-in'law'

Derry Journal, 30 Sept.1898: MILLS- September 28, at his residence, Waterside, Londonderry, Charles Mills, aged 73 years. His remains will be removed for interment in ... burying ground this (Friday) morning, at ten o’clock. Friends ...