Author Topic: 1930s Hackney - Stormont House School  (Read 297 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1930s Hackney - Stormont House School
« on: Tuesday 21 June 22 17:16 BST (UK) »
I have a rellie (FJ) b 1919, now deceased,  who has a reference dated 1939 stating that:

FJ attended Stormont House School for some years proving himself a successful and intelligent scholar, a diligent worker and a lad of high moral character.

He was in turn school prefect and school captain and throughout carried out these responsible duties with credit and success.
Tactful, yet firm in his dealing with his fellows and strengthened by this sense of his fairness and integrity he was of very great assistance to the staff in promoting and maintaining.....

The address on the letter was  "Barcombe",  89 Woodland Way, Winchmore Hill, N21 which the 1939 Register has as the address of William Bowling, a schoolmaster.

I am trying to find
pictures and information from the 1930's for Stormont House School (run by LCC), it would be good to confirm how long FJ attended, and if William Bowling was a teacher there.

The address I have for Stormont House School is 75 Downs Park Road, Downs Park, Hackney.

I have found a few internet references : https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/stormonthouseoas.html  and https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/briefhistoryoas.html   both refer to the Open-Air school built behind (as I understand it) Stormont House School, but it maybe that FJ attended the main school, possibly as a boarder, although he was a local Hackney lad.

Does anyone more knowledgeable about Hackney schooling in the 1930s have any information to share with me?  I would love to find a school register, year book or similar...

In hopes

Pam

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1930s Hackney - Stormont House School
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 17:46 BST (UK) »
William Bowling was headmaster at Stormont House LCC Open Air School from 1935. Previously Assistant Master 1928-1935. The school was indeed at 75 Downs Park Road, Clapton E5
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 17:46 BST (UK) »
The London Metrolpoltan Archives have some records relating to the school. Most are post second World War, but significantly, the log books for the period 1863-1977 appear to be there.

Possibly of interest is the fact that at various times it is described as a school for blind pupils and other times as being for 'delicate' childen. In earlier times it seems to have  been a school for tuberculosis suffers, hence the outdoor part, I assume.

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ  - "William Bowling was headmaster at Stormont House LCC Open Air School from 1935. Previously Assistant Master 1928-1935."

that is brilliant result, where did you find that information?
======================

Andy, thanks - I have considered whether FJ would be classed as 'delicate' but don't think so, certainly not blind.  I wonder what the Log Books would contain?  I assume you mean ref: LCC/EO/DIV04.  There is also LCC/EO/SS/05/037 but that doesn't look as relevant.
=================

Still no photos before WW2  :(

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 20:33 BST (UK) »

that is brilliant result, where did you find that information?

Teachers' Registration Council Registers - viewable at FindMyPast and at Society of Genealogists
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 08:44 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ  - Got it, thank you.

Now I just want to try and find 1930's photos of Stormont House LCC Open Air School.

Think is was destroyed by bomb damage in WW2

Pam

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 09:20 BST (UK) »
Here's one site to look at:

https://www.londonpicturearchive.org.uk/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 09:46 BST (UK) »
Disappointingly, the oldest photo for Stormont School on that site is 1961:

Record No   65049
Title   Vacant site at Stormont House School in Downs Park Road
Description   Vacant site on Downs Park Road, Hackney. Wasteland with trees and dilapidated fencing around the edges.
Date of execution   1961

Plenty of photos from today's school but not of the one that existed between the wars.  I did expect that being a 'pioneering' Open Air school there would have been photos from that time.

Pam