Author Topic: McMurrough marriage?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
McMurrough marriage?
« on: Friday 24 June 22 22:44 BST (UK) »
Have been searching Irish civil records but unable to find the following marriage-
Arthur McMurrough (usual spelling in Belfast although can also be McMorrough, etc.) married Matilda Tierney. Both were Catholic and oldest known child born 8 Aug.1887 in Belfast (10 others from 1887 until 1901 also born in Belfast). Arthur died in 1922 and widow Matilda in 1929. I have details of the family from Aug.1887 onwards so I do NOT need details of the children and their families.

Both 1901 and 1911 give Arthur born Co. Monaghan (c1857) and wife Matilda born Co. Tyrone (c1865).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls/Grosvenor_Place/951372/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls__Belfast_/Grosvenor_Place/180954/ (MacMurrough)

It seems the family are buried Milltown Cemetery and in Belfast their local church might have been St. Paul's R.C. Church (parish registers not available here- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1127)

Would like to get back at least one more generation on McMurroughs, if possible, and hoping marriage would list Arthur's father. Do not know where Arthur & Matilda met or married. Appreciate any help in finding Arthur's marriage and his family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMurrough marriage?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:04 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have this but perhaps Matilda's baptism?

20 Aug 1865 - parents John Tierney and Joanna Starrs residence Aughadullagh
https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000632852#page/1/mode/1up
cant seem to find a civil record  :-\

Can understand why you would atleast want the marriage to confirm father's names though, would make everything alot easier.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that baptism (and searching)- with that new information I was now able to to find Matilda's birth registration- REBECCA!
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03563/2312321.pdf

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 22 23:13 BST (UK) »
Well thats a far cry from Matilda! ;D

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 03:54 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, I did come across this although not for Matilda-Rebecca.

Catholic Church of St Peter's, Lurgan
18 August 1882
Arthur Morrough  age:30, single, occ: weaver, residence: Ballynamoney, father: Arthur Morrough (dead), labourer
Eliza McLoughlan   age:22, single, residence: Lurgan, father: William McLoughlan (dead), weaver
Witnesses: John Morrough & Anna Maria McLoughlan

Could this be your Arthur? Kim

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 07:27 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 07:34 BST (UK) »
On one of the papers sent from Scotland for verification of details in the 1841/1851 Census for a Patrick McMurrough b 1847 c/- Francis McMurrough in Glasgow someone has written McMurrer. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rop/

On this the applicant Patrick's parents are given as John & Catherine McMurrough with Corley written under the McMurrough name from
Co Monaghan
Trough
Donagh

Other names noted are
John
own? Does this mean Patrick the applicant?
Frank
Mary
Ann

Somewhere, though I did not save where I see McMurrough written as McMurray?

ETA
Although we won't search for the details of the children, as you have these,  it may be useful to have them listed in birth order so we can see the names just in case they did use the irish naming patterns. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
Believe it or not I start to search for this family again last night!

Thanks, Kim. The 1882 marriage for Arthur McMurrough & Eliza McLoughlan is unlikely to be the same Arthur McMurrough as I now think his father was John & I did come across other McMurroughs in Armagh but will certainly make a note of it as you never know.

I had collected lots of McMurroughs from Monaghan and was fairly sure that Arthur was from Glaslough and his parents John and Catherine (nee Sherlock) so that pension application looks very interesting.

The surname is earlier more often recorded as McMurrer but also McMurrin, McMurrier ... I think I found once as McMurray.

Arthur McMurrough & Matilda Tierney had 10 children, all born Belfast, from what I've found- John (1887- named for both grandfathers if I'm correct), Arthur Henry (1889), William Leo (c1892), Kathleen (1894- after Arthur's mother?), Margaret (1896), Josephine (1897), twins Thomas & Hubert (1898), Michael (1900), Edward (1901).

1911 census says married 24 years, 7 children/7 living. I think they didn't understand the question & just counted their living children. 24 years takes marriage c1887 or so.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls__Belfast_/Grosvenor_Place/180954/

After collecting Glaslough McMurrers it looked like Arthur's parents were John McMurrer & Catherine Sherlock. Last night (with the help of a 3 month subscription to Ancestry) I found several family trees and one, with reliable details, also gave them as Arthur's parents.

John McMurrough (c1818-17 Jan.1900 Glaslough), butcher, m. Catherine Sherlock (c1836-1 Nov.1891 Glaslough). Children: ?Arthur (c1858), Thomas (c1859), John (c1861), Mary Ann (1864), Francis (1866), Catherine (1868), twins Margaret & Mary Ann (1871), Joseph (1873), Henry (1876).

Many thanks to everyone. Off to do some more searching ...

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 09:00 BST (UK) »
Let us know immediately  :) if you want/need any help......so grateful to be of some use to you after all the help you have been to others.

So that was interesting to me that the older version of the name was McMurrer.

ETA We are still to find the wedding Tierney/Mcmurrough or  did that come to light on Ancestry?