Author Topic: Martha Jacob b.c.1649 Norton, Wilts  (Read 1066 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Jacob b.c.1649 Norton, Wilts
« on: Wednesday 29 June 22 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to find baptism, parents for Martha Jacob b.1649 according to the transcript of the marriage bond of 1667 for her marriage to Giles Hungerford in Norton. Note that on that record and other listings I've seen it specifices Norton Bavant, but this is incorrect I believe. The marriage in question and her later marriage to John Knight in 1781 are all listed in the same parish register for Norton Coleparle, near Malmesbury.

Grateful for any info.

Thanks!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Jacob b.c.1649 Norton, Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 22 18:33 BST (UK) »
You may have already found this information, but I thought I would add it, just in case:

From an image of the Norton, All Saints parish registers:

Giles Hungerford of Wellow in the county of Somerset, gent, married Martha Jacob, the daughter of John Jacob, gent, on 14 February 1666.

Martha is the daughter of John Jacob by his wife, Martha Calley, according to The Baronetage of England, Or the History of the English Baronets, and Such Baronets of Scotland, as are of English Families:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CLVBAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA413#v=onepage&q&f=false

There is a wonderful amount of information about this family online as they were very wealthy and well-connected so you are very lucky!

Queenie  :)

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 22 22:51 BST (UK) »

From an image of the Norton, All Saints parish registers:

Queenie  :)

As Queenie says, you should always try and look at the original document for any event you're interested in.
A transcript of any record, (you say you have only seen a transcript of the bond for this marriage,) may well not give all the information that was in the original entry.
You should try and track down the original marriage bond document, as it may give even more information.
Perhaps Queenie could say where they found the original of the parish register so you can see it.

Added:
The film of the registers for Norton-Coleparle are still only on film on familysearch and not yet digitised.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 22 23:18 BST (UK) »
According to the WSHC guide, there are no surviving parish registers for Norton before 1663.

https://wshc.org.uk/104-parish-register-list-k-z#N

The first surviving register shows a John Jacob and Martha having children baptised there - George (1663), William (1669), Alice (1670-71).

John Jacob was allegedly a gentleman, so have you tried looking for a will for him?

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, in the end I did resolve this by checking through wills, registers etc. It's a fascinating family that I researched all the way back to the medieval period. Unfortunately I think I made a mistake in the Victorian period and they're nothing to do with me after all! The research is still all up on my Ancestry tree though in case it's of any use to anyone.