Author Topic: Nott Marriage  (Read 1078 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Nott Marriage
« on: Monday 05 September 05 09:40 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the maiden name of Sarah who married Joseph Nott of Newton St Loe, probably around 1849.   The marriage may have taken place in Twerton, Somerset if Joseph had followed the normal custom of the day.
They had at least 5 children all born Newton St Loe, Sarah Ann 1851, Elizabeth 1854, George 1857, Samuel 1859 and Mary 1862.
Any help in tracing Sarah's family greatly appreciated.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nott Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

The page from the marriage index for Joseph Nott's marriage has been partially transcribed into the FreeBMD database (www.freebmd.org.uk).  Unfortunately only 6 of the 8 names that appear on the page have been transcribed and it looks like Sarah's is one of the two names that has not yet been transcribed.  You could of couse get the information by ordering a copy of the marriage certificate but that would cost you £7.  The reference is:

September Quarter 1849, Bath, Vol. 11 page 5

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
Thanks for your reply, I've already tried this one and he's the wrong Nott :(.   As I don't know where she was from, they may have married in Keynsham district (Newton St Loe) or Twerton or Bath being the most likely.
Thanks again, cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Sorry that wasn't your Joseph.  I've had another look at the marriage indexes, this time for the 5 year period 1847-1851 and I've noted dwon all the Joseph Notts listed and all the male Notts married in either the Bath or Keynsham districts (in case Joseph had another name).  This is what I found in addition to the one you had already:

Q June 1847: Nott, Joseph  St. James  Vol. 1  p. 143
Q June 1848: Nott, Alfred  Bath  Vol. 11 p.13
Q Sep 1848: Nott, William  Bath  Vol. 11 p.13
Q Sep 1849: Nott, Joseph  Clifton  Vol. 11 p.256
Q Sep 1850: Nott, Joseph  Abbergavenny Vol. 26 p.42
Q Mar 1851: Nott, Henry  Keynsham Vol. 11 p.133

Hope this may help with a new lead.

Regards,

Allan
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
Many thanks for the info, the Henry you mentioned (m. 1851) is Joseph's brother, born Lyneham, and married Hannah Hibberd.
I'll certainly have a look at the 3 Joseph's you mentioned, the Abergavenny marriage could be just the one - it would account for the lack of info in the Bath area.  Thanks again
Cheers Dave  8)