Author Topic: James Foulds in Shelford  (Read 1089 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
James Foulds in Shelford
« on: Thursday 30 June 22 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all. I was told, a while ago that my relative James Foulds married Elizabeth Bird in Shelford on 7th Sep 1788.

I have tried looking for any hints of their birth, death, who their parents were etc but I cannot see anything off hand? Maybe they were not from Shelford?  I don't know if anyone can help?

I have found their children were:
Mary Foulds
1788 - unknown death (or about any family details)

Henry Foulds
1794 - unknown death (or about any family details)

Henry Foulds
1798 - unknown death (or about any family details)

Betty Foulds
1801 - unknown death (or about any family details)

John Fouldes
1803–1885 (this is my branch so I know a bit about his kids and where they went)

Ann Foulds
1805 - unknown death (or about any family details)   

I don't know if anything leaps out. I have tried searching familysearch.org but not really helped me there.

Thank you again, fine people *bows deeply*

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Foulds in Shelford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 22 06:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Mary?

23 September 1842 - Nottingham Review and General Advertiser

aged 54 years, Mary, the beloved wife of Mr. John Kent, bricklayer, Arnold, and eldest daughter of the late Mr. James Foulds, Oxton, many years bailiff to the late William Sherbrooke, Esq.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 22 06:38 BST (UK) »
Perhaps James’ death?

FOULDS, JAMES       81 
GRO Reference: 1838  S Quarter in BASFORD UNION COUNTIES OF NOTTINGHAM DERBY  Volume 15  Page 237

Added death notice

Thursday, in the 82nd year of his age, Mr. Wm (must be a misprint) Fouldes, formerly bailiff to the late Wm. Sherbrooke, Esq, Oxton

20 July 1838 - Nottingham Review and General Advertiser

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
John Kent after his wife Mary died he married her sister Anne Foulds 1843.

Anne died 1879 age 72.

1841 Front Street
Elizabeth Foulds 40  washerwoman
Ann 15
Charles 11
John Kent 40 Bricklayer
Mary 50
Frederick 13
Elizabeth 9

ADDED
John Kent died 2 December 1884 will proved by his daughter Elizabeth Housley wife of Samuel Housley of Old Basford.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 22 12:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is Mary?

23 September 1842 - Nottingham Review and General Advertiser

aged 54 years, Mary, the beloved wife of Mr. John Kent, bricklayer, Arnold, and eldest daughter of the late Mr. James Foulds, Oxton, many years bailiff to the late William Sherbrooke, Esq.

Ahh so that was her death notice?  That is excellent! I guess that's all it said? Not where she died?  Thank you for that!

MJ

PS John Kent was her bricklayer husband but who was "Arnold'? Or was that a place name?
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 22 13:05 BST (UK) »
John Kent after his wife Mary died he married her sister Anne Foulds 1843.

Anne died 1879 age 72.

1841 Front Street
Ann 15
Charles 11
John Kent 40 Bricklayer
Mary 50
Frederick 13
Elizabeth 9

ADDED
John Kent died 2 December 1884 will proved by his daughter Elizabeth Housley wife of Samuel Housley of Old Basford.

So, at age 42/43, he married his 16/17 year old sister in law after his wife died?!  Wow! That's something. A relative once told me it was illegal to marry your sister-in-law back then?  Yet I have found two cases of it happening in my relatives!!

Thanks
MJ

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
Arnold is a place name

Ann was baptized 1805 so by 1843 she was 37 or 38 years old

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
Arnold is a place name

Ann was baptized 1805 so by 1843 she was 37 or 38 years old

Thanks for Arnold info. Also ahhh! Ann and Anne are different people! Okay that doesn't sound as bad now!

Thank you!
MJ

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:17 BST (UK) »

1841 Front Street
Ann 15
Charles 11
John Kent 40 Bricklayer
Mary 50
Frederick 13
Elizabeth 9

Sorry just to check but this isn't ALL the one household in Front Street is it? I am trying to find the census list on familysearch.org without luck! Thanks

MJ