Author Topic: DNA testing  (Read 1596 times)

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
DNA testing
« on: Monday 05 September 05 09:57 BST (UK) »
Has anyone undergone DNA testing to prove/disprove a relative?

I have been attempting to identify an 'unknown' father in my tree and a potential relative is willing to test with me.  Googling brings up a bewildering array of sites so if anyone has experience of this, I would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers, Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline helenw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi the only DNA testing I'm aware of is for paternity and at which point you need the mother / child / father to get the 3 way comparison.

A friend of mine used a company in Canada that were very good and emailed the initial findings through within 14 days (full report arrived in the post within 4 weeks)

I'd check out one of the medically based sites (ie with no agenda to provide a service) and see if they come up with any recommended testing kits.

Hope this is helpful
Leics & Rutland-Marlow,Curson,Driver,Freer,Freestone,Bird
Lincs-Welby,Chappell,Hames,West,Michelson,Sellers
Hunts-Berridge,Palmer,Hutchcroft,Wright,Shelton,Slough,Harbour,Owen(s),Dunkley
Northants - Boyall,Dunkley,Williamson,Owen(s),Norman,Glover
Cambridgeshire-Norman

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 05 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph

If the relationship is not a very recent one, ie father/child, then you would need to look at the Y-chromosome DNA.  For this you would need your willing relative to be male.

I have had my female line DNA analysed by www.oxfordancestors.com/
Mitochrondrial DNA is of no use for genealogical research but it was fascinating to find out that I have an unbroken female line going back 45,000 years.  Imagine trying to name all those relatives on a family tree!

Have a look on Oxford Ancestors website - they have more explanations of Y-DNA.  I would recommend them on the basis of the service I had.

Good luck
Monica 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  I have now e-mailed a couple of companies, and I'll check out Oxford Ancestors now.

The willing relative is female so it may be a lost cause  :(

Cheers, Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 14:34 BST (UK) »
The Oxford Ancestors sites makes fascinating reading :o

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

National Geographic are doing a worldwide DNA search see

https://www5.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

This might be of interest.

Let us know how you get on,

Best wishes and good hunting,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 21:41 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I recently had my Genetic DNA Tested under the World-wide genographic study.  The results were quite enlightening. 

By linking/or confirming linkages, Genetic DNA Testing of the male Y-chromosone provides a new World-wide dimension into Family Tree research.  Females can be tested as well.

You can do the tests individually and have World-wide comparisons done by posting your results onto the Y-search DNA site - no extra cost, where privacy is paramount.

Recently, I had a basic 12 marker  test, just by rubbing a swab on the end of a short 'stick' around the inside of my cheeks and posting it to the Laboratory.  Because of the interest it has created results may now take a few weeks.

With the people and University that I went through, the samples will be retained for 25 years so that varied/or more intense testing can be done in the light of further technological breakthroughs.  I recommend the 12 marker test initially.

My enthusiasm has permitted me to establish, on a voluntary non-profit basis, the following EDMONDS surname web-page which will explain processes further. 

Persons interested in arranging for their DNA [male or female] to be tested can do so by following the links through the site

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/e/edmonds/

Under the Group scheme available through this site, the male Test costs  US$99 - presently 53.7459 GBP.

Good hunting or good gathering,

Bruce EDMONDS
Brisbane AUS