Author Topic: Findagrave swamped with inaccurate entries?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Findagrave swamped with inaccurate entries?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 July 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
The standards seem to vary from one extreme to the other don't they.  The way some people make photo requests is another thing to ponder.  I've seen examples of multiple requests for a plot because it has Tom, Dick and Harry in it.  In that scenario I make one request and add a message with all the names rather than 3 requests and no message at all.

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 August 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
The standards seem to vary from one extreme to the other don't they.  The way some people make photo requests is another thing to ponder.  I've seen examples of multiple requests for a plot because it has Tom, Dick and Harry in it.  In that scenario I make one request and add a message with all the names rather than 3 requests and no message at all.

I'm about to fulfil a request like that. Perhaps the requester doesn't know that all three people are in the same grave. I don't mind because I will get three Volunteer Photo credits when I fulfil the request. I found the grave the other day but the sun was shining through foliage onto the grave and the photos looked awful so I'm going back to get better ones.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 August 22 18:13 BST (UK) »
I find it easier as a photo volunteer to have separate requests for Tom, Dick, Harry. Saves a lot of faffing around when uploading.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 August 22 20:30 BST (UK) »
"they don't check what is in the background and the photo includes a rubbish bin! "

If there's a rubbish bin in shot there's not much you can do about it. Sometimes the bin is right beside the grave and I will take photos from different angles so at least some of them won't have the bin in them.
The other day I photographed a gravestone that had a big black rubbish bag beside it which was too heavy for me to move. Maybe I'll remember to take another photo when the bag is removed. When I was using a computer I was able to 'clone' an area of grass over any unsightly objects in the photo, but I don't think I can do that on a mobile phone.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 August 22 09:37 BST (UK) »
I found the grave the other day but the sun was shining through foliage onto the grave and the photos looked awful so I'm going back to get better ones.
Use flash ?  :D
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young