Author Topic: Walsh (Welch?) Francis, B. 1791, and family, Jersey, before 1841 to after 1861  (Read 2178 times)

Offline izzieg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello :-)
Having exhausted (to the best of my ability) Ancestry sources I thought I would check in here for any more leads :-)
I can see Francis in the 1841,51 and 61 census, and his wife Bridget and daughter Anastasia (various spellings) with him in 41 and 51, but I can't find any other information (apart from possibly a Chelsea pensioner record).
Intrigued how he came to live in Jersey with the family and to know more about them.  Any information or tips much appreciated

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh (Welch?) Francis, B. 1791, and family, Jersey, before 1841 to after 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 22 14:22 BST (UK) »
At least 2 of the children;

John and 'Anastatia' were baptised in Youghal, County Cork in 1831 and 1834 respectively.
A note on Anastatia's record says her pet name was Anstice.

Bridget's maiden name was Neil and the family were RC.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh (Welch?) Francis, B. 1791, and family, Jersey, before 1841 to after 1861
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 22 14:25 BST (UK) »
In addition - on John's baptism record - there is a statement that the pet name of Francis was Frank and pet name of mother was Bid!

I only mention this in case they are recorded as such on later records.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 22 16:04 BST (UK) »
Many army pensioners made their homes in Jersey in the first half of the 19th century. The main reason was usually financial, the cost of living here was considerably less than on the U.K.mainland.
There was a constant military presence on the island from the late 1700s because of the threat from the French - Francis may even have been stationed here at some point.

Bridget O'Neill, wife of Frs Welsh died at No 4, The Parade in St Helier on 4 Oct 1858, aged 60

Offline izzieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you :-) all very much appreciated