Author Topic: MIs in eyemouth  (Read 284 times)

Offline Kate_genedetective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MIs in eyemouth
« on: Saturday 02 July 22 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - Am trying to trace the Lighterness family from Eyemouth at the mo

I have found reference to this book/ publication:
Pre 1855 Memorial Inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.

Looks good as the Lighterness family I am looking at are mainly 1700s in this area - does anyone know how I can access this publication?
thanks!
Kate

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MIs in eyemouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 22 19:52 BST (UK) »
        Try a google for: "Berwickshire monumental inscriptions by David Cargill"     A list of results come up.     Select World Cat site and open it.      On the right, it says Get A Copy.

The book appears to be at the National Library in Edinburgh.     Just not sure whether you download it or if you buy it or borrow it.       Good luck with your search!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: MIs in eyemouth
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 22 12:01 BST (UK) »
If it's in the National Library of Scotland it's available only for reference, not for borrowing.

It's one of the series of booklets published many years ago by the Scottish Genealogy Society. Berwickshire MI - Vol.2. The Eastern Parishes. pre-1855, and you can buy it from the online shop at their web site https://shop.scotsgenealogy.com/acatalog/shop.html

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.