Author Topic: 50 People Whose Families Have Been Destroyed by Online DNA Test Results  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: 50 People Whose Families Have Been Destroyed by Online DNA Test Results
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
Makes you wonder why you bother with genealogy sometimes if DNA is destroying paper trails and revealing secrets that were thought to be long buried. Seems many men and women did disobey their "forsaking all others" marriage vow.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:03 BST (UK) »
Makes you wonder why you bother with genealogy sometimes if DNA is destroying paper trails and revealing secrets that were thought to be long buried. Seems many men and women did disobey their "forsaking all others" marriage vow.

Some of mine certainly did, and not just the once.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 22 05:01 BST (UK) »
Did not read them all but there are some extreme examples, reactions and some not very nice people in those stories - get the impression they should be on Gerry Springer or some such nasty programme. In some cases maybe the reactions destroyed the families as much as the results of the dna tests.

There are probably plenty of nice dna success stories to balance these.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 22 05:35 BST (UK) »
We don't have proof of where the stories originated i.e. if they're true!

I'm sure most of us who do 'Genealogy' are aware there's always likely to be 'skeletons' in the cupboard.

This could be a well written table of scenarios specifically written to entice people to take a DNA test?

I believe DNA sites will go to any length to sell their product although each scenario is likely to have happened at some time but using so called quotes makes it more realistic & likely to anyone with any doubts/suspicions etc. in their families!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 22 06:49 BST (UK) »
That thought crossed my mind too Annie (I wondered if they were genuine as lots were so extreme, and/or possibly chosen/concocted for dramatic effect). I’m sure there are plenty of people with complex dna stories though, but something about these I’m not sure is convincing - several of them sound like they are written by the same person.  ;)

They all sound like American examples judging by the use of “Mom”.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:06 BST (UK) »
I’m sure there are plenty of people with complex dna stories though, but something about these I’m not sure is convincing - several of them sound like they are written by the same person.  ;)

They all sound like American examples judging by the use of “Mom”.
That's one of the the many things I noticed too!

Another few instances involved colleagues etc...too many stories with similar associations out of 100s you could choose from...agreed, written by the same person ::)

Sometimes repetition is too obvious, especially when one is looking for diverse situations!

Do the authors not realise, we (family historians/genealogists) use the forensic approach which includes signature comparisons i.e. repetition...so obvious!.

There's too much repetition & wild scenarios in those quotes for me to believe they're all true ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:28 BST (UK) »

It is not DNA that is destroying anything, it is lies and deceit in the past. If people were honest and their situation the DNA would simply confirm the facts.
There used to be a saying "The truth will always come out" perhaps our ancestors should have taken heed to that. ;)
Why do I bother doing family history, because I like to know the real history of the family including their foibles and mistakes, not to judge, but to gain knowledge.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but the scenarios sound like fiction to me. :-\
And all written by the same person (or team).

Certainly some similar genealogical events could possibly happen, and it is up to you whether you let it ruin your life.

It's not the test that is the problem. It's about the decision to take it and the decision to share the results.

There should be a warning on the bottle ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk