Author Topic: Finding Gertrude Goldsmith  (Read 27395 times)

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding Gertrude Goldsmith
« on: Wednesday 06 July 22 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
You might remember me on here a while back trying to trace my grandmother Gertrude Ross (Nee Stephen) who gave my dad away at birth in Edinburgh in 1930.

I managed to uncover that Gertrude's Aunt Isabella Stephen died in Jersey on 5th February 1947. This piqued my interest in the island and I wondered what she was doing there so far from home (Isabella lived in Aberdeen all her life) after the war.

Since then, I also uncovered that Gertrude had another daughter before my dad called Joan Isabel Ross. Born 28th January 1926. I started looking at the re-entry cards for Jersey after WW2 and found application records for a Harold Arthur Goldsmith, a Gertrude Goldsmith and a Joan Isabel Ross. Bingo! It seems that Gertrude had re-married Harold Goldsmith. However, although the record states they were married in GB, I can't find any marriage certificates for them and Michele in the Jersey Archives (who has been ever so helpful) says she doesn't see any evidence of them moving to Jersey after the war. I checked the electoral register for the Charles Street address in Milford Haven and Gertrude and Harold are both there in 1945, but Gertrude is not there after that. Harold continues at that address in 1946 and 1947 but has left by 1948. So I've lost Gertrude again!

Michele in the archives found the will and testament of Harold Arthur Goldsmith who died in Jersey in 1975. I have ordered the document but not seen it yet. Michele tells me there is mention in the will of Harold's stepdaughter Joan Isabel, but no mention of Gertrude at all.

I wonder if any of you loved people based over there might be able to help me and see if there is anything you can dig up relating to Gertrude/Harold/Joan living in Jersey? This has been a family mystery for years and I would love to find out what happened to my grandmother and try and find answers as to why she gave my dad away at birth.

I would love to come over to the island to search the archives myself but unfortunately I have a young child and have neither the time or the funds to do so.

I'm really hoping someone on here might be able to help me. 🤞 Many thanks for your time. 😘

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Gertrude Goldsmith
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 19:59 BST (UK) »
According to a tree on Ancestry - Harold Arthur Goldsmith was born in China

He is shown as the father on the Jersey marriage of Ivy Helen Goldsmith to John Frederick Edward O'Connor - 26.6.1937  His occ is Quartermaster Sgt RGA

Harold signed as a witness as did Helen Mary Goldsmith - so his wife was still alive in 1937

Ivy's birthplace is shown as Devonport.  Freebmd shows birth 1912 - mmn Court

1911 marriage in Devonport - Harold A Goldsmith to Helen M Court
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
Harold Goldsmith is on the 1911 in Plymouth - b 1885 Jersey (not China!!) - Bombadier in the RGA

1891 for Jersey shows parents as James A b 1848 England & Mary I b 1858 St Peter Jersey
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 21:39 BST (UK) »
Harold Goldsmith is on the 1911 in Plymouth - b 1885 Jersey (not China!!) - Bombadier in the RGA

1891 for Jersey shows parents as James A b 1848 England & Mary I b 1858 St Peter Jersey

Free part of the 1921.  Son of same name born in China

Harold Arthur
Goldsmith
Hong Kong, China
St Helen's
Isle of Wight
Hampshire

Also possibles

Francis Richard
Goldsmith
Singapore

The mother.

Helen Mary
Goldsmith
Exeter, Devon, England

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 21:56 BST (UK) »
In 1973 Helen Mary is said to be widow of Harold Arthur

Will and Testament of Helen Mary Court, widow of Harold Arthur Goldsmith, of Seaview, Millbrook, St Lawrence. Dated 20/11/1970. [Includes one closed document]

Reference: D/Y/B1/193/58
Date: August 9th 1973

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
Tree on Ancestry

It has the 1914 Harold Arthur marrying Gertrude Ross

Hollyhocker - if you have Ancestry access you may want to take a look - 1925 marriage cert for Gertrude Stephen to John Fowler Ross

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/157924752/person/322072851770/story

Tree has John dying 1989 Manchester so was there a divorce?  If no divorce  - no marriage

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
So, it is the son Harold Arthur born in China in 1914 who is said to be married to Gertrude.

Sorry Hollyhocker.  Brain not working properly this morning  ;D

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
There is this burial on FindMyPast
But the images are no help. In a common grave, having died at Brompton hospital.

Goldsmith
Gertrude

Middlesex, Brompton Cemetery Records

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
I saw that too & wondered if it was her.  She was born 1907