Author Topic: Sharkey/Calahan Families - Tibohine?  (Read 880 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sharkey/Calahan Families - Tibohine?
« on: Saturday 09 July 22 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to track down my great great grandmothers family in Ireland.
Her name was Margaret Cahalan born 1871 in Bradford, England.
Her mother was Bridget Cahalan born around 1840 in Ireland.

In the 1871 English census Margaret and Bridget are listed as living with John and Bridget Sharkey.  Bridget Cahalan is listed as their niece.  I have been able to work out that that Bridget Sharkey was born Cahalan in approx 1818 in Tibohine, Roscommon.

I am presuming that Bridget (born 1840) married one of Bridget's Sharkey's siblings children.  Bridget (born 1840) married a Michael Cahalan.  I do not have their marriage certificate, his name was listed on his daughter Margaret's marriage certificate. 

The 1871 English census also lists Bridget as a Widow and at this point Margaret is only 6 months old so Michael must have died around 1870-71 presumably in Bradford. 

The closest I can get to a marriage for Bridget and Michael is a marriage between Michael Cahill and Bridget Battle in 1863 in Bradford, Yorkshire.  There is a Michael Cahill that dies in 1871 in Bradford as well.  If this is their marriage I also wonder if they had other children.

I have been looking for ages and was wondering if anyone could see a link between Michael Cahalan (born in Ireland, but birth year unknown) and Bridget Sharkey nee Cahalan??

Thank you for your help.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Sharkey/Calahan Families - Tibohine?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 22 06:52 BST (UK) »

I have been able to work out that that Bridget Sharkey was born Cahalan in approx 1818 in Tibohine, Roscommon.

Here's the townland of Tibohine in Tibohine civil parish.
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/frenchpark/tibohine/buckill/tibohine/

Birth and marriage records only go back as far as January 1833 in Tibohine RC parish.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0558

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 22 07:36 BST (UK) »
Is the name Calahan/Callaghan and various other spellings or  Cahalan ie perhaps spoken Callan/Cullen/Carne or Caalan?  You are using it interchangeably.

Could you let us know what the most recent spelling if the name is please.

This website
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
is good to find BDM, also Family Search 

ETA I am also getting a little confused about the names and when you are using maiden names and when you are using married names

Is it Bridget Calahan Sharkey born 1818 in Tibohine Co Roscommon
married
John Sharkey when and where?

Bridget ms? born 1840? Ireland
married where and when????
Died when and where??
Michael Calahan born ????? where
died 1871

Margaret Calahan born 1871 Bradford England
married
died

If you could fill the gaps that would be great. 

Have you checked later censuses? 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:04 BST (UK) »
I always have a quick squizz at the 1901/11 census and any earlier ones.  The 1901/11 I look carefully at the ages, names, locations of the oldest ones. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1901 census there are Callaghans in Co Roscommon including in Tibohine and also Sharkeys in Co Roscommon. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Buckhill/Tibohine/1666505/

Judging by my family's use of the word niece and cousin etc it may not be clearcut that this is an aunt/niece or uncle/niece relationship. Some parts of my family called anyone who was family who met the usual 'rules' between generations as niece/cousin even though they may have been more complicated relationships as second cousins, first cousins once removed etc. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:40 BST (UK) »
in 1861 Bridget and John Sharkey appear in the England census both born in Ireland as is a son Luke Sharkey.  A later son Thomas aged 3 is born in England
From FS

In 1881 census Bridget is still alive birth is stated to be 1821.  She has Luke and his family with her. 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
There is this birth (nearest I can see)

December quarter 1870 Bradford
Margaret Carlin mmn Cummings

Also this birth
December quarter 1857 Bradford
Thomas Sharkey mmn Cahalin
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk