Author Topic: Robert CHARLES born 1721 - Osmington, Dorset  (Read 618 times)

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert CHARLES born 1721 - Osmington, Dorset
« on: Monday 11 July 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
I need some help - I have traced my friend's family back to Robert Charles (1721-1784) and Anne Christopher (1723-1804) via her fourth great grandfather Thomas Charles (1761-1845) of West Lulworth who married Alice Spicer in West Lulworth on 30 June 1783.  His baptism is recorded on 27 July 1761. 

https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/29408006?h=85b40e

His parents are Robert and Anne Charles (Christopher) who married "both of West Lulworth, by banns" on 16th May 1749

https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/29408072?h=1e60fb

My problem is that I am not sure when Robert was born and who his parents are.   I have found a Robert Charles born in 1721 in Osmington to Manell and Mary Crimble - but he could be Robert Charles that married Dorothy Grant (died 1763) on 14 July 1748 and Susannah Seaward on 10 October 1767 not my Robert Charles who married Anne Christopher.   So I have hit a wall and as yet I cannot seem to find an answer.   My gut tells me that Manell (Emmanuel) and Mary Crimble are the parents of Robert who married Dorothy and Susannah, so where does my Robert fit in.   I have been working my way around the Charles trees, but not found anything yet that sheds any light.

Update:  I have just found a will/probate document for Robert Charles died 1800 Osmington that mentions siblings Prudence Hooper (nee Charles) and Thomas Charles.  I have subsequently found a baptismal record for a Prudence Charles - baptised 17 July 1748 whose parents are Thomas and Prudence Charles.  So potentially Robert Charles married to Dorothy and Susannah could have parents Prudence and Thomas.... I will keep going.   The date of death ties in with a grave memorial for Robert Charles and Dorothy....

Update 2:  Found Thomas Charles and Prudence Hurden parents of Prudence on another tree - so writing all this down has organised my thoughts and helped me sort out the knot.

TIA

Ellenmaggie