Author Topic: Flintham Sluice, Adleburgh  (Read 507 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Flintham Sluice, Adleburgh
« on: Monday 11 July 22 21:40 BST (UK) »
Evening all,

Can anyone help me identify the location of "Flintham Sluice"?  I understand that it was drainage dyke or waterway near Aldeburgh.

Cheers,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flintham Sluice, Adleburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 June 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy, there is a postcard of Flintham's Estate, Aldeburgh pre 1909. Not sure where it was located.
Also there is a sluice Cottage on Thorpe Road between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness(1937-61 OS map) and a wind pump at Red House, near Gorse Hill nearby.
Hope this info may narrow down your search.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Flintham Sluice, Adleburgh
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 June 23 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Hookleg,

Thanks for the research.  The mill betwixt Alboro' and Thorpness was a windpump called Thorpe Marsh or Black Mill.

I noticed a mill on the north bank of the Alde (upstream from Slaughden) on the OS 6”, 1881-83 map.  Its marked as "OLd Windmill", and is ideally placed for a windpump, being to the side of a sliuce and on the river bank.  I can find nothing to give her a name though.

I think the search goes on ...

Windy

PS Fincham's was, I think, a wealthy gent and his name pops up in and about Aldeburgh, but I'll look into any connection to the cottages
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers