Author Topic: Greyhound Inn, Thame  (Read 315 times)

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
  • http://thewhitefamilyhistory.org.uk
    • View Profile
Greyhound Inn, Thame
« on: Tuesday 12 July 22 15:54 BST (UK) »
I have a Richard Wall, being the innholder for the Greyhound Inn, Thame in 1788. It seems to have been taken over by his son Richard until his death in 1829.

There seems to be multiple pubs in Thame that have taken the name Greyhound Inn over the centuries. So I am trying to figure out which one it might be. There was one on North Street, which I think did not take its name until after 1840.

There is the Austins Greyhound Inn (now a shop) on the High Street, by Greyhound walk, which where John Hampden died after the battle of Chalgrove Field and which some webites claimed to be the base of James Figg the prize fighter.

However, there is also the James Figg (formerly Abingdon Arms) which on their website claims to have been the Greyhound Inn in the past where James Figg was headquartered, and has a blue plaque to that effect.

Both cannot be correct.

Is there anyone out there who could shed some light on this contradiction and help me localise the Greyhound run by my ancester in 1788.

Thanks, Peter

whites, oxon; fulljames, kent; sawyer, london, essex; figtree, anywhere; clark, kent; pipe, somerset; shorter, glos; woodman, wilts.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Greyhound Inn, Thame
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 17:16 BST (UK) »
I'm currently looking through the newspapers to see if I can find any clues.

Oxford Journal - Saturday 17 December 1763

To be sold: Two dwelling houses, situated at East Gate, in the City of Oxford, one of which is in the occupation of Thomas Gillet. For particulars, enquire of Mr White, at the Greyhound Inn, near East-gate aforesaid.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
Oxford Journal - Saturday 10 September 1768

Lot 4, The GREYHOUND INN, being a freehold situation in the Market-Place, in the High Street, in Thame aforesaid, being a new built brick and sashed house, consisting of a Hall, four parlours, a bar, two kitchens, two pantries, a large dining room and seven bed chambers, on the second floor six bed chambers, two beer cellars, one wine cellar, a granary, stables, garden, and other conveniences, now under let to Mr Parsons at twenty eight pounds a year, clear of all taxes and repairs. The old rent was thirty two pounds per year.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 17:29 BST (UK) »
It goes up to be lett again a couple of years later.

Oxford Journal - Saturday 21 March 1772

To be lett and entered upon at Lady-Day next,

The Greyhound Inn, lately new built, being commodiously situated for Trade, in the High Street in Thame, near the Market-House, the present occupier going into another branch of business. Also a good house and shop adjoining, being lately new built, and well situated for Trade. Enquire of John Eeles of Thame aforesaid.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 17:59 BST (UK) »
So here is some weirdness.

Various papers have an announcement around March 1781 saying the following.

Oxford Journal - Saturday 24 March 1781

Richard Wall, from the Ship Inn, begs leave to inform his friends and the public, that he has taken and entered upon the BLUE BOAR INN, Oxford, which will be forthwith neatly fitted up for the accommodation of Company and where the (illegible) and the best entertainment of every kind will be comfortably provided. By their obliged humble servant, 23rd March 1781 N.B. Neat Post Chaise and available horses.

Then in 1788 I see this.

Oxford Journal - Saturday 17 May 1788

Held at the house of Henry Dimmock, the Swan Inn and Richard Wall, The Greyhound Inn, both in Thame, established 6th March 1788 the Thame United Provident Society.

There is a fairly long bit about the provident society but no further specific details about a Richard Wall, or anything else about pubs.

So that's odd.

EDIT: Another version of the 1781 announcement says that the Blue Boar Inn had previously been in the possession of Mr Ladds. (Oxford Journal - Saturday 31 March 1781)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
There is a death notice for a Richard Wall which sheds further light.

Oxford Journal - Saturday 05 December 1829

On Thursday the 26th ult died, at Thame, aged 80, Mr Richard Wall, brother of Mr William Wall, late of the Greyhound Inn, in that town.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
So it seems like it was sold in 1826.

Oxford University and City Herald - Saturday 23 September 1826

James Batting begs leave to inform his friends and the Public, that he has purchased the Greyhound Inn, etc (no further details that might point to a location.)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 18:40 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find any newspaper reports to support a link between James Figg and any pub in Oxford. That doesn't mean it didn't happen of course, just that I can't find it or it never made the papers.

Offline bearkin

• RootsChat Member
  • http://thewhitefamilyhistory.org.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks StanWix,

Thanks for all your work :) I am leaning towards one on the High Street, as this is given in its English Heritage listing. The building is given as 18thC which fits with the idea of newly built, although I suspect the facade is only 18thC as there are interior views showing an 17th C timber frame.

The Richard Wall in Thame in the Thame's Provident Society notice is my Richard Wall. I am now beginning to suspect the Richard Wall at the Blue Boar in Oxford might be the same man. Thomas Ladds mentioned is actually related to Richard Wall by marriage! Also, The Mr White mentioned in one of those notices might also connect because the Walls and Ladds are connected via the White family, although I am not familar with a Francis White but it is an avenue worth following. All the best, Peter
whites, oxon; fulljames, kent; sawyer, london, essex; figtree, anywhere; clark, kent; pipe, somerset; shorter, glos; woodman, wilts.