Author Topic: RAF Operational Sorties - Does name order infer role on plane?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Operational Sorties - Does name order infer role on plane?
« on: Tuesday 19 July 22 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking at the WW2 records of a relative who was lost, feared drowned, in combat off the Bay of Biscay. His rank was a Sergeant and he was a wireless operator/gunner.

He was part of a crew that manned a Halifax in 1943. The official listing of those perished starts with two Pilots, a navigator, three wireless operator/gunners and an engineer. Can I infer anything from the order of the names given?

For example the first pilot name given would have been the captain of this designated flight?
Would the first wireless operator/gunner listed actually have been the wireless operator rather than the Gunner on this occasion?

It matters as one of the crew actually survived. He was picked up a German U-boat and he on release from a PoW documented what happened to the crew members (by role).

many thanks

Neil

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Operational Sorties - Does name order infer role on plane?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 08:28 BST (UK) »
I would expect the crew to have been listed in rank order, meaning that the captain of the aircraft would usually be the highest ranked crew member. The Halifax had 3 gun turrets (nose, dorsel and tail) so I would imagine that all three of the operator/gunners were required to man the guns and one may have been nominated as the radio operator in addition to his gunner duties. This was probably the forward (nose) gunner as his position was adjacent to the radio operator's position, immediately beneath the pilot's position. It's possible that the first named of the operator/gunners would thus have usually been the nose gunner, assuming that they all held the same rank.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 09:19 BST (UK) »
The pilot (captain) was not necessarily the highest ranking of the aircrew.
Here is an example:
Pilot F/Sgt
Bomb Aimer P/O

https://www.158squadron.co.uk/memorials/cavanagh

It was unusual to have a second pilot aboard in WW2, the second pilot may have been training with an experienced crew before taking over his own aircraft or they were on a special long range mission. The flight engineer normally doubled up as second pilot when taking off and landing.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 22 14:47 BST (UK) »
There's a good description of the Halifax crew compartment at https://35squadron.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/handley-page-halifax-crew-positions/

It also describes the roles of each crew member. "Second pilot" was phased out in 1942.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.