Author Topic: McMartin line - Killin Perthshire, New York, Glengarry Ont.  (Read 495 times)

Offline TrishMenz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMartin line - Killin Perthshire, New York, Glengarry Ont.
« on: Wednesday 20 July 22 18:39 BST (UK) »
I have about 14 pages of McMartin line that come from Malcolm McMartin born 1729 Letterfinlay Inverness Scotland. It says he emigrated to mohawk valley New York ( Fulton, johnstown  new york)
With 3 sons.
Malcolm McMartin 1746 Killin Perthshire- 1828 Glengarry Ontario
Wife Margaret McIntyre 1749-1803. Hes a UEL.
John McMartin 1755 Killin Perthshire -1789 Glengarry Ontario
Wife Helen Ellen Cameron 1757- 1820. Hes a UEL.
Peter McMartin 1754 or 1745 Killin Perthshire-1790 New York?
It says he stayed behind with his aged father.

It says Malcolm sr is married to Katharen Clerich from Killin?

I cannot find information about Peter....I'm wondering if anyone could help me with that.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McMartin line - Killin Perthshire, New York, Glengarry Ont.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
Malcolm McMartin born 1729 Letterfinlay Inverness Scotland.
With 3 sons.
Malcolm McMartin 1746 Killin Perthshire- 1828 Glengarry Ontario
What is your evidence for Malcolm McMartin b 1746 in Killin being the son of Malcolm McMartin b 1729 Letterfinlay?

I ask because the elder would have been only 16 or 17 when the younger was born, and it's unusual for a boy to marry as young as 15 or 16, so you need some pretty solid evidence to be sure you have the right link.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TrishMenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:51 BST (UK) »
The 1729 letterfinlay could be an estimate? I was handed down these 14 some odd papers. Currently plugging all the info into ancestry. Here's 2 papers, son John on the first page son Malcolm on the second. Sadly there is no page for Peter.

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 22 18:12 BST (UK) »
There is some discrepancy in the published narrative for this family.

Malcolm McMartin b 1746 was in the 1st Battalion of the Kings Royal New York regiment.

John McMartin b 1755 was likely the brother of the above Malcolm, but the narrative is that he was brother to the above Malcolm's father - supposedly another Malcolm.

Child naming for the the two does not indicate a shared parent (mind you missing births/infancy deaths could be present).

I have seen the Letterfinlay reference before.  It may be a forced fit in this case.

The elder Malcolm in Killin residing at Bowvachter married to Catherine Clark has a son John b 1749, Malcolm born 1756, and a Peter b 1752 which could fit the family.

There is another elder Malcolm in Killin residing at Tirai married to Elizabeth McMartin, but only has  female children with one unnamed birth, so not a likely candidate.

Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 22 18:28 BST (UK) »
There is a Duncan McMartin in Killin residing at Tirai married to Margaret McFarlane.
They have a child Malcolm b 1746.

Based on Malcolm b 1746's child naming his parents could be the above.  They also have a son Peter b 1743 - no John b 1755 - but could be a missing record.

This does not fit the narrative though, and John b 1755 children's naming doesn't fit.

Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline TrishMenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 22 19:21 BST (UK) »
Malcom srs wife is listed as katharen clerich in other family documents. I suppose that could be Clark? I can post more of the papers if it helps?

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
Clerich is just an older/traditional spelling of Clark. So the couple we are referring to are one and the same.

There were quite a number of McMartin families that immigrated to New York early on, so it is quite challenging sorting out who was who in earlier records.

There is a Peter McMartin b 1742 married to a Christian McNaughton (recorded in some records as McNorton). He is likely the son of of a Duncan McMartin and Isabel McGregor - so not likely your Peter.

Yes - do post more papers if you can - either in this thread or message me and we can exchange emails if it is large/cumbersome.

www.mckercher.org

Offline TrishMenz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 22 19:48 BST (UK) »
I can email if that's easier.

The tree was at one point done professionally... this was definitely created around the late seventies,  early 80s. It says my mother is married in the papers and she was divorced by the mid 80s.

I've started plugging in the info and it's pretty spot on. The penciled in stuff...I'm not sure who added it or when,  the majority of it is correct.
It's quite possible he was not from Letterfinlay.  Another paper has his birth as 1725. But still has the 3 sons.

One of my cousins is sending me a book " the story of martintown" I think is its name. I'm told it has a lot of info about the family. Maybe it will have some answers.