Author Topic: Mary Reilly - Dunmore, Galway  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Babypink2807

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Reilly - Dunmore, Galway
« on: Thursday 21 July 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, all.  I am researching my family, and there are loads of them and as usual more or less named the same as well  😕

I have Mary Reilly (Reilly spelt in so many ways as well making it awkward).  She was born 6 June 1858, Dunmore, Galway, daughter of Peter and Julia Connell.  Below is the record for her, I am no longer on Roots Ireland, something I had to give up given current circumstances financially.
She appears then on the 1911 Census in Ireland, along with her brother Patrick.  Still in Dunmore.  I am struggling to find her Death record, I have gone through Tuam and Galway records(16 records each) and most of the Mary Reilly are widows (assuming she never married, still single in 1911), I have been looking for Spinster.  I did find one, but would like an opinion on it.  It does state Housewife, even though I think she never married. 

I am therefore assuming she is referred to Housewife, being living with her brother and his wife and family?

In brief, not sure if this her death I suspect so, I am not convinced she did marry, would appreciate feedback - thank you
🤷‍♀️

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Reilly - Dunmore, Galway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 22 07:32 BST (UK) »

She appears then on the 1911 Census in Ireland, along with her brother Patrick.  Still in Dunmore.  I am struggling to find her Death record, I have gone through Tuam and Galway records(16 records each) and most of the Mary Reilly are widows (assuming she never married, still single in 1911), I have been looking for Spinster.  I did find one, but would like an opinion on it.  It does state Housewife, even though I think she never married. 

I am therefore assuming she is referred to Housewife, being living with her brother and his wife and family?

In brief, not sure if this her death I suspect so, I am not convinced she did marry....

According to her death record, this Mary Reilly lived in Poleredmond (sic) near Williamstown in Co Galway.

Here's the actual townland - Pollremon just to the west of Williamstown.
https://www.townlands.ie/galway/ballymoe/templetogher/templetogher/pollremon/

It's about 11 km NE of the townland of Dunmore (and Dunmore village).

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4136961#map=13/53.6498/-8.6509

So it's possible that this is your Mary Reilly - a spinster and housewife (or often termed housekeeper).

Have you found the death of her brother Patrick and where he lived at death?

1911 census at Dunmore
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Dunmore_South/Dunmore/475400/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 22 07:52 BST (UK) »
And further to Kiltaglassan's post  there is a Mary Reilly who is mentioned in Griffiths Valuation as leasing an area of land in Pollremon in 1856.  There is a Martin Reilly who also leases land there.   
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rpd/

I also think it would be a good idea to find Patrick's death and see where he was at death. Also to find Mary and Patrick in the 1901 census.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:00 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:12 BST (UK) »
This may be Patrick (unmarried with his mother in 1901). He is 40 and this ties in with his age in the 1911 census. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Dunmore/Dunmore/1398778/

Sort of snap with heywood.....Patrick has quite younf children in the 1911 census indicative of a second marriage or newly married first.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:16 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:28 BST (UK) »

This is likely to be the death record of Margaret Reilly (widow) in 1945 at Clooneen. Her son Patrick was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04622/4226651.pdf

So Patrick snr died before 1945.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:51 BST (UK) »
This might be the death of Julia Reilly in 1908 aged 79. It was reported by the daughter Mary. At Clooneen. Big jump in age from 65 in 1901 census though.  Also even though it has been logged as Reilly.  I am wondering if it is Kiely as the capital K is a form that looks a bit like a capital R

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05492/4538463.pdf

Peter Reilly and Julia Connell Reilly possibly have a number of children (from Family Search) Some have shifted to Ohio.

Catherine 1866
Peter 1868
Mary 1856
Charles 1858
Julia 1872
Thomas from census 19 so born 1882
Julia from census so born 1881

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 22 09:09 BST (UK) »
There is a published tree which has children of Peter and Julia Reilly in England before 1901.

The tree shows the wrong death for Julia - I agree with shanreagh re the 1908 death.

It also shows a death for Patrick for May 1929 which is wrong. That man is a bachelor.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk