Author Topic: Restoring grave with unknown ownership  (Read 2186 times)

Offline ajf101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Restoring grave with unknown ownership
« on: Friday 22 July 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, I thought this might be a common question but I've not been able to find anything on Google.

In the course of my family history research I found the grave of a distant aunt, who died in 1898, buried in a prestigious position in Brompton Cemetery. The engraving is virtually impossible to read however and it's in bad shape.

I naively thought, "wouldn't it be good if this could be restored". But I have no idea how to go about this. I have no idea of the grave ownership. The person in question died a spinster, and the lady she worked for paid for her grave. But she too died a spinster, with property going to various nephews and friends. I reckon it would be next-to impossible to work out where the grave ownership has been passed.

Is it at all practical to get a restoration done when ownership is unknown? Is it worth caring about?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring grave with unknown ownership
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 22 14:05 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the cemetery and asking them what the position would be  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ajf101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 22 14:20 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately they stopped responding when I said I wasn't the owner.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 22 15:30 BST (UK) »
I have no idea of the grave ownership. The person in question died a spinster, and the lady she worked for paid for her grave. But she too died a spinster, with property going to various nephews and friends.
Is the lady who paid for the grave, buried there too?

If not, it may be worth sending another email or a chat with them, with all known details, emphasising the owner is also deceased i.e. no ownership known & you'd like to restore the stone & ask them how you'd go about it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 22 15:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with Annie, it would be worth getting back in touch with the cemetery and explain the full circumstances, the grave owner has died, the person buried in the grave is an ancestor of yours and you wish to have the stone restored/replaced at your expense.
I would suggest before you do that, you contact a stone mason close to the cemetery and get an estimate of the costs involved, you may find it costs more than you would be prepared to pay.

The cemetery may not allow you to go ahead or they may tell you the grave has been re-registered since the owners death even if you do go ahead the grave owner may demand the "new" stone is removed. If it was me I would give it a try.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.