Author Topic: 1936 and 1937 school photos - help and opinions please  (Read 679 times)

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1936 and 1937 school photos - help and opinions please
« on: Sunday 24 July 22 07:19 BST (UK) »
The attached photos are from the Friern Barnet and District Local History Society photo archive
No further details are available on that site and the photo archive that they operate is open for all to contribute so they have little detail on who added the photos.

Oakleigh Infants was a school was in Whetstone London N20, now part of All Saints School on the same site.

My grandparents lived in Whetstone from the 1930s to 1980s and while living with them during my childhood I attended the same school.

The photos are of two years and could possibly include my aunt or uncle.

Infants schools are up to age 7.
Do both photos appear to be of 6-7 year old children?

Both photos are posed the same way and in the front row a small 1 is displayed
Maybe the class or room number?
If they are dated 1936 and 1937 would you assume that is the end term of that school year or the beginning?
Sept 35 or Jul 1936 for the 1936 photo and Sept 36 or Jul 1937 for 1937 photo.
My assumption is that it is in line with school year education so Jul for both?

I believe that there are no individuals that appear in both photos?

My aunt was born in Feb 1928 so probably is not in either photo?
my uncle born in Mar 1930 could be in either?

I have no photos of either as children only as adults, so if it is a possibility facial recognition or aging software might be my next step.  Anyone tried either approach?

Thanks for any input :)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1936 and 1937 school photos - help and opinions please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 22 07:30 BST (UK) »
I am not at all sure, and can offer no comment on most of your questions but

First photograph. 2nd row from front. 5th child in from left. Is she not the same girl as second photograph, 3rd row from front, 6th child from left.

First photo second row from front, 3rd from right  = second photo 3rd row (from front) 3rd from right

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 22 13:55 BST (UK) »
  Are you sure they are infants? They don't look like 6 to 7 years olds to me, or not all of them.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 22 14:18 BST (UK) »
On first glance I also thought they were the same girl, now not so sure, certainly similarities.
I think the age grouping could be as suggested 6 and 7 year olds.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 22 05:38 BST (UK) »
thank you all for your comments

Oakleigh infants was established in 1928 as an infants school so only 2 school years with ages 5-6  and 6-7 to choose from.

Quote from British History on line - Friern Barnet  Education
Oakleigh infants' school was founded in 1928 as All Saints' council school and renamed between 1932 and 1936. (fn. 103) Initially catering for infants from All Saints' school, the numbers rapidly increased to 223 in 1938. (fn. 104) In 1969 it was closed and handed over to All Saints' school.

I am assuming that these are leaving photos. All children would have to leave to go to another school, a junior school which happened to be next door, All Saints junior school.  Hence my assumption of age 6-7  in final year and that the photos are July of each year.

Given the quality of the photos and the likelihood of many siblings attending the same school a few lookalikes in the photos is reasonable whereas many may disprove the consecutive leaving year photo theory so the similarities do not disprove my assumptions. Do you agree?

I still have one inconsistency to reconcile.  In the above quote the role in 1938 was 223. Not sure if there was a 'kindergarden' element possible during that time period and allowing for some increase from 1937 to 1938 the number does not reconcile with the number of children in the photo.
There are about 40 children in each photo so if the number 1 in the picture is room or class it is likely that there was also at least another class or room of 6 to 7 years olds in each year so my relative may not be in the picture even if they attended the school and were in the right year.

Thanks again  :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 22 16:02 BST (UK) »
There is quite an interesting range of girls' clothing in the pictures - some in traditional pleated gym slips with shirt and tie, some in pinafore uniform dresses, others in ordinary dresses.  I wonder why?  Could there be different year groups?  Was uniform optional, maybe?  It's not so obvious with the boys.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mhillbilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 02:58 BST (UK) »
Gillg an interesting observation

The school was established to serve a large number of council houses built in the area so largely a working class catchment and the 1930s were not a time of plenty so my assumption no uniform and given the photo was probably pre announced the best clothes possible for each child. 

I am sure it is all one class and year group.

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 08:59 BST (UK) »
Compulsory schooling at this time started at age 5, with the leaving age 0f 14. There were changes in the pipeline to raise the leaving age.

Please don't assume the children were in their best clothes - the 1930s saw much poverty - they could well have been wearing their only clothes.

My Mother would have been 10 in 1936, my Father 13. They were from very different areas and backgrounds. I will see what the photo box reveals.

FS

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
School uniform used to be our "best dress" in my early youth.  I remember going to the Festival of Britain (1951) wearing mine.  Of course that was some time after your photos!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.