Author Topic: Bandridge / Drumballyroney Cromies - Still looking  (Read 1824 times)

Offline garycrombie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bandridge / Drumballyroney Cromies - Still looking
« on: Sunday 24 July 22 14:47 BST (UK) »
After a break I have frustratingly returned to see if I can add anymore names to my pedigree line which I have managed to trace back to the 1800s to the Banbridge area. The following is all I have, but my hope is to find more siblings. Any guidance or support would be gratefully appreciated.

John Cromie (1793) married Sarah McReadie (1797)
they had a son James Crombie (1818-1884) who married Margaret McCullough (1815-1881) in Ballyroney Presbyterian Church Drumballyroney 23rd March 1846

James / Margaret then had Thomas Crombie (1847-1915) and Elizabeth Crombie (1852-1914) both resided in the Banbridge area before moving to Irvine Scotland. I am confident that I have all the information related to Thomas and Elizabeth.

As stated above I believe and hope to find more Cromie / Crombies for the strands connected to John or James.

Like many other researches you try and never give up as I firmly believe that John and James must have had larger families.

Thanking you in advance.

Gary

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bandridge / Drumballyroney Cromies - Still looking
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 18:55 BST (UK) »
Have you tried this site: http://rosdavies.com/SURNAMES/C/Cromie.htm
Do any of these assist you:
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
Cromie,   Rathfriland R.P.   Drumballyroney   Rathfriland   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Alexander [no dates given], also Joseph Cromie, theology student, died 14/12/1888 aged 26

Cromie,   Rathfriland 1st Pres   Drumgath   Rathfriland   Down
Gravestone Inscription   James, of Drumaiken, died 06/10/1859 aged 23, also Elizabeth Cromie, died 06/12/1879 aged 60 and Mary Cromie, died 10/03/1880 aged 23

Cromie,   Rathfriland R.P.   Drumballyroney   Rathfriland   Down
Gravestone Inscription   William, died 06/05/1887 aged 45 and his wife Anne Cromie, died 02/09/1905 aged 63

Offline garycrombie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Sam.b,

I have used this site in the past as this has provided me with information about Thomas Cromie and his wife and their children. However I have had no luck around expanding on Thomas siblings.

I do have a marriage and death certificate for Thomas mother Margaret as she remained in Ireland whilst Thomas and his family emigrated to Scotland. It would appear that after Margaret’s death her husband / Thomas father joined his son in Scotland.

2 siblings,…surely from this era there would have been more?
So frustrating.

Thanks again Sam.b  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 22:34 BST (UK) »
2 siblings,…surely from this era there would have been more?

Why? infant mortally was high, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases killed off many ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline garycrombie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

I fully understand the limitations at that time to the size of families.

It is more in hope to be honest and gain clarity if this family had succumbed to the mortality issues of this era. I have not been able to even find a death certificate or burial information relating to this which would ease my mind.

So frustrating 🫣

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 June 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Is the following a possible brother to James?

A bachelor named Thomas Cromey of Deehommed ('Decomed') townland, son of John Cromey a labourer, married a Sarah Jane Campbell in Ballyroney Presbyterian Church on 29 November 1849:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1849/09363/5390685.pdf

This couple may have had a son James, for according to a transcript I can see, a James Cromie was baptised on 13 February 1859 in Drumballyroney Church of Ireland parish for parents called Thomas and Sarah Cromie (no mother's maiden name) of Tirygory townland, James' date of birth was given as 2 October 1858. 

Then I wondered about the following Thomas Cromie, a widower of 'Decomed', son of John Cromie a labourer, who married a Jane Whigham in Drumlee Presbyterian Church on 27 April 1865:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1865/11570/8256907.pdf

Same man maybe?  Anyhow, this couple had:

- a son Robert John in 1866:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03512/2291579.pdf
- a son Thomas in 1869:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03413/2251730.pdf
- a daughter Sarah Jane in 1871:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03314/2214753.pdf

I also wondered about the following death of a Thomas Cromie at Drumdreenagh in 1893, Drumdreenagh borders Tirygory, the informant was his widow Jane and the reported age would place his birth year c. 1823:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/06013/4711571.pdf 

https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-upper-lower-half/drumballyroney/tirkelly/drumdreenagh/

As I said, just putting this forward as a possibility, until it can be ruled in or out.

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,
Thos might help you.
My great great great grandfather's sister - Jane May Laffins - married a Joseph Crombie on 9th July 1836 at Rathfriland Presbyterian Church. (Banbridge area) They went to Australia in 1840 with their two daughters - Esther Crombie and Jane Matilda Crombie. They settled in Adelaide and had four further children  - James, Joseph, Margaret and  William John. 

Offline garycrombie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 11:09 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in responding i have had a few family matters to deal with.

Gaffy thank you sincerely for this information. You have certainly gave me great suggestions on possible links which i need to try and explore further and hopefully can connect to my tree. Can i ask which site you used to gain these details and if it is easy to use. Peoples Scotland has been my main source of information up to this point however feel that i need to broaden out to other sources and was contemplating going to PRONI in Northern Ireland to try and access their records.

Heather thank you as well for the lead. My pedigree line is littered with Joseph, John and Essie (Esther) Crombies so i have no doubt that the Crombies at this time and area would have been connected in some way. Like many other researchers it is the connecting bit that is the problem.

I have been made aware that their is a book / paper within PRONI specifically connected to the Crombies of Drumballyroney. Hence  why i feel that  this should be my next port of call.

Thanks again and all your guidance and assistance is gratefully appreciated.

Repository :   Public Record Office for Northern Ireland

PRONI Reference :   D3000/66/1

Level :   Item

Access :   Open

Title :   Pedigree of the Cromie family, Drumballyroney

Dates :   1600s-1946

Description :   Pedigree of the Cromie family, Drumballyroney, Co. Down.