Author Topic: Missing names in baptism records  (Read 8130 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Missing names in baptism records
« on: Wednesday 27 July 22 03:06 BST (UK) »
A simple question, as I have come across it twice recently - I find a baptism entry, neatly laid out with parents names and location, but the child's name and gender are missing.  Is this simply a case of the child having died, before being baptized? Or the clergyman forgot to fill it in?

An example is the attached picture for Unnamed Campbell, baptized(?) on 25 July 1746 in Watten, parents William Campbell and Christian Budge (OPR births 042/10/163 Watten).  Family trees keep claiming that there is a Janet Campbell born to these parents, but I can see no evidence of this, unless this unnamed child is her.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Missing names in baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 04:20 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to go back to the SP image & make the 'contrast' darker/clearer & post a better snip with surrounding info. to compare with that of others on the same page please?

As this is on the 'Scotland' board, with no reference to which county, for the benefit of others who may wish to help, Watten is a Parish in the County Caithness.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 05:04 BST (UK) »
I was wary of copyright! I think this is removing some of the background bleed. I immediately notice that "called" is repeated, and there are no witnesses, unlike any of the others.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 05:15 BST (UK) »
The image is illegible when enlarged, can you please go back to the image & use the 'Adjust contrast' option to make it clearer?

It's also best to 'save as' a jpeg image rather than download as a pdf.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 05:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I was downloading as jpg, but I had to shrink the size to try and get the image below 500kb. This is now full-size, cropped and some change in contrast to make the blacks a bit darker, and the whole image less grey.  I can read it relatively easily - I wouldn't want to read much more than a few entries before I went blind, but I can see what it says!

Thanks for the help.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 06:07 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as if the baptism you are interested in has been left incomplete. Space has been left so that the detail of child's name, and sponsors could be recorded, but the church cleric has not done it.
Have tried to improve snip here; maybe no different.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:00 BST (UK) »
So that's my big question - was this a practice that people have seen before? I am pretty certain this is the second time I have seen much the same thing, but I'm not sure why it would be left blank.  Its not like the parents accidentally missed the service, and turned up the next week - the next baptism is in 1750.  If the child had died, I assume it wouldn't be baptized posthumously, so maybe this is the situation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
In some Presbyterian registers in Ireland even far into the 1800s it wasn't uncommon to find details like this missing in the records. The most likely reason being that most baptisms took place at home when either clergyman was sent for or was visiting members of his congregation. At some point afterwards a notation of the baptism would have been made. Perhaps he forgot the child's name or parents hadn't yet selected child's Christian name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:28 BST (UK) »
It may not, of course, have been the Minister, but the Session Clerk, who wrote up the register. He may have known that the minister had performed a baptism, wrote down what he knew, but never quite got round to getting the rest of the information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.