Author Topic: Henry NOAKES marriage Benenden  (Read 2969 times)

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry NOAKES marriage Benenden
« on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of Henry NOAKES b. 2 Jul 1700 Benenden to a Martha. They were the parents of Martha NOAKES bap 12 May 1738 Benenden.

Several trees on Ancestry have the marriage of Henry NOAKES to a Martha GRENIE 24 Apr 1732 in Benenden but none are substantiated and I cannot find anyone of that name (or likely variant) anywhere.

Can anyone help?
Many thanks

Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry NOAKES marriage Benenden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of Henry NOAKES b. 2 Jul 1700 Benenden to a Martha. They were the parents of Martha NOAKES bap 12 May 1738 Benenden.

Several trees on Ancestry have the marriage of Henry NOAKES to a Martha GRENIE 24 Apr 1732 in Benenden but none are substantiated and I cannot find anyone of that name (or likely variant) anywhere.

Can anyone help?
Many thanks
The marriage occurred on 24th April, 1732 at Battle, Sussex, on Ancestry (which has recently added all the Sussex parish registers), it has been mistranscribed as Pokes!

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 July 22 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you 😊
Should have thought to do a *OKES search.
Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you 😊
Should have thought to do a *OKES search.
Actually that is not possible on Ancestry ;), but a Mart* Gre* marrying a Henr* in 1732 finds it.

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 22 09:07 BST (UK) »
I’ve just tried a Henry *OKES search for a marriage in 1732 and it does come up.

What I can’t find is the will of James Noakes proved in 1727 on either Ancestry or National Archives. It may be helpful if he mentions any of his siblings to help decide between Zebulon and Thomas as his father.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
I know all trees are dubious - but have you seen this one which gives Henrys grandad  aqnd grandmothers names ?

https://gw.geneanet.org/xerxes62?n=noakes&oc=&p=henry
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 22 09:49 BST (UK) »
There is a PRC will for James Noakes of Benenden 1727

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 22 10:26 BST (UK) »
I know all trees are dubious - but have you seen this one which gives Henrys grandad  aqnd grandmothers names ?

https://gw.geneanet.org/xerxes62?n=noakes&oc=&p=henry

This is the one that most people have on their tree but I would like to prove it is the right one. The 1657 baptism at Ticehurst f. Zebulon is also possible although naming wise less likely as there are no Zebulons appearing in James’ or his chidren’s families.

There is a PRC will for James Noakes of Benenden 1727

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org/

This was suggested when I posted another request on the Sussex page. (The Noakes spread across the borders of the two counties and some even chose to go further to the south to marry in Dallington and Battle)

I was expecting to find a copy of the will available to read online on Ancestry or listed available to download from the National Archives but I can’t find it. Do I need to order it from somewhere?

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 July 22 10:43 BST (UK) »
From their website

Canterbury Probate Records (1396-1858)
The wills contained in this database can be viewed on microfilm and printed at both Canterbury Cathedral Archives and Library and the Kent History and Library Centre. Please see the websites for opening hours.

The Kent History and Library Centre can provide copies for those unable to visit.

You used to be able to order microfilm reels at LDS Family Centres but I'm not sure this is still possible.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk