Author Topic: Dudley Parish Church?  (Read 278 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dudley Parish Church?
« on: Thursday 28 July 22 19:22 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a series of images for marriages in 1840 that were registered in "the Parish Church in the Parish of Dudley". But which actual church was this? There's some 3500 images  but there seem to be pages missing/out of order that might help identify which actual church the entries are for: for example, the 1840 entries start on page 53, image number 2120. The previous image is for December 1841!
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dudley Parish Church?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 22 14:18 BST (UK) »
at that date it must be St Thomas, known as Top church due to position at the top of the High Street.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Dudley_St_Thomas,_Worcestershire_Genealogy
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 22 16:45 BST (UK) »
It might help if you could point us to the images you have seen!  In that way, perhaps we could help you to pinpoint the church.  Sorry, but being vague doesn't help anyone.  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
I have baptisms and marriages in this era - all parish church of Dudley so this is what I found

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_St_Thomas,_Dudley
GEDmatch M157477

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 22 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I had thought that St. Thomas was the right church, but wasn't quite sure. However, the replies here confirm my first thoughts.

The image link is:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62087/images/62085_302022005560_3880-00188?pId=90172048
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.