Author Topic: Alfred Johnson born circa 1820 Henley  (Read 1633 times)

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Alfred Johnson born circa 1820 Henley
« on: Thursday 04 August 22 14:56 BST (UK) »
My DNA research has led to a mini-cluster of people descended from Alfred Johnson. Before I give you the information I already have, I should say that my focus in on his life before the birth of his (presumably) first child in 1846. I cannot find a baptism or marriage record for him, so that's what I'm really after.

Between 1846 and 1868, Alfred has 12 children registered in Sheppey district, all with mother's maiden name Budd.
In 1851, 1861 and 1871, the family is in Minster in Sheppey, Kent.
In 1888, they can be found in Chelsea, London.

Alfred's occupation is consistently given as shoemaker/cordwainer or similar.
His birthplace is routinely given as Henley on Thames in Oxfordshire, or just Oxfordshire.
In 1851, his age is given as 30; in 1861 as 40; in 1871 as 56 and in 1881 as 66. This would suggest a birth year of 1815-1821.

His wife, Emily, is born circa 1823-1825. Her birthplace information varies on the censuses but seems to be either Isleworth, Middlesex or the Wonersh/Guildford area in Surrey.

Of particular interest to me in the 1851 census, when they have the following servant with them:
Fanny Bradford (or Bradfield, it's hard to read), aged 43 born in Henly on Thames.

===

As an aside, other DNA matches indicate a chance that Alfred Johnson is somehow connected to my ancestor William Cooper who was baptised in 1798 in Ascott under Wychwood, Oxfordshire.
Interestingly enough, his elder sister Rachel (baptised 1785 in Ascott) ended up in Henley and her husband was called John Bradfield, a tailor. I haven't been able to find a marriage record but they start baptising children in Henley in 1812 with their son Alfred Bradfield.
This Alfred Bradfield (born 1812 in Henley) married an Elizabeth Andrews on 6th June 1838 in Wonersh, Surrey. He is a bachelor, his occupation is cordwainer and his father is John Bradfield, a taylor.
They baptised their first daughter in Wonersh on 7th October 1838 - Frances Ellen Bradfield, Alfred's occupation being a cordwainer!
On the 1841 census, they are in Wonersh and Alfred is a shoe maker!
Elizabeth remarries in 1859 in Ewhurst, Surrey to a Stephen Stemp. She is listed as a widow.
===

Now I'm rambling and confusing myself. Does anybody see something I'm missing?!

All the best from the heatwave in Berlin
Andy  ;D
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Johnson born circa 1820 Henley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
Alfred does seem to be elusive, have you found a death record for him?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 22 10:34 BST (UK) »

Of particular interest to me in the 1851 census, when they have the following servant with them:
Fanny Bradford (or Bradfield, it's hard to read), aged 43 born in Henly on Thames.

Not sure if it was just a heat induced typo, but to me Fanny's age looks like 13 on the 1851 census.  ;)

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 22 10:42 BST (UK) »
Alfred does seem to be elusive, have you found a death record for him?

Colin

No, I can't seem to find one. Thanks for taking the time to read my long and confusing post!

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 22 10:44 BST (UK) »

Not sure if it was just a heat induced typo, but to me Fanny's age looks like 13 on the 1851 census.  ;)

I think it's my eyes! I had another look and can see it's clearly 13 now!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 22 11:35 BST (UK) »
I assume they would have married after 1837 but no marriage on freebmd.

Quite an array of names for their children.

EMILY  RACHEL 1846,  ALFRED  GEORGE  1848, HENRY  WILLIAM  1848, ALBERT  JOHN  1851

ELIZABETH  ELLEN  1852, JAMES  EDWARD  1854, BENJAMIN  THOMAS 1857,  CAROLINE 

SOPHIA  1859, MARY  ANN MARIA  1861, ELIZA  1864, SARAH 1865, ARTHUR  1868.

I note that Emily & Alfred are in Chelsea, London 1881

I cannot find them I 1891, I wonder if this is Alfred?

JOHNSON, ALFRED  HENRY     76  (1808)
GRO Reference: 1884  D Quarter in OF BRENTFORD  Volume 03A  Page 35

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Henley parish records on Ancestry, no Alfred but there are other Johnson’s, nothing jumps out but if the death record was correct I wonder if he started life as Henry?

Henry Johnson   Baptism 29 Sep 1811   Henley on Thames, St Mary John Johnson & Martha Smith

Henry Johnson   Baptism 24 Dec 1815   Henley on Thames, St Mary Charles, a Shoemaker & Mary

Colin

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 August 22 11:57 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Henley parish records on Ancestry, no Alfred but there are other Johnson’s, nothing jumps out but if the death record was correct I wonder if he started life as Henry?

Henry Johnson   Baptism 29 Sep 1811   Henley on Thames, St Mary John Johnson & Martha Smith

Henry Johnson   Baptism 24 Dec 1815   Henley on Thames, St Mary Charles, a Shoemaker & Mary

Colin

Thanks, Colin. I'll take a look at these, especially the shoemaker one!

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 November 22 23:01 GMT (UK) »

I think it's my eyes! I had another look and can see it's clearly 13 now!

Isn't this Fanny Bradfield born Henley in the 51 Census the same as Frances Ellen Bradfield baptised in Wonersh daughter of Alfred Bradfield?
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske