Author Topic: BENNET FT  (Read 773 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BENNET FT
« on: Thursday 04 August 22 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been researching my Bennet Family but have come to a halt with John Bennet (1665/6-1706) m Elizabeth Wittewronge 2.5.1692 (she 1674/5-1734). I believe they were the parents of

Thomas Bennet who m Catherine Prigg before 1719 - don't know much about them

gparents of Mary Bennet who m Thomas Lawes 8.6.1765

ggrandparents of John B Lawes & Marianne Knox m 1812

etc

Thomas Bennet of Oxford, a booksellerprinter etc in St Paul's Chuchyard @687-1706, was bur in St Paul's Cathedral c/w a service & sermon & an MI which states he m a Mrs Witterwronge (I thought he was her 1st husband!) She m (2) Sir Thomas Gery in 1710

I can find no family details about Thomas - birth, parents etc (he was clearly an important enough person to have been bur there - it had opened for business just 7 years before). Their children may have included Thomas (who m Catherine, above) Anne & Mary

Any assistance will be gratefully received

sft456

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BENNET FT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 22 19:35 BST (UK) »
This post is rather old, but I have an interest in pre-1700 genealogy, so I thought I would give it a go.

This family was very wealthy and aristocratic and there is a lot about them online, including this excellent family tree:
https://archive.org/details/miscellaneagenea02bann/page/74/mode/2up

I don't understand why you have referred to Thomas as 'John' - I assume that was a mistake?

Thomas' will was proved in 1706. Within it, he mentions various relatives, which could provide an excellent starting point for going further with his line.

The will can be downloaded for free from the National Archives:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D607625

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Since my email of August 2022, I have now considerably enlarged this Tree. I purchased the Pedigrees in book form online and these have been of some help. Annoyingly all the Wills in this book refer to other families, certainly not to this Tree

There are still many unanswered questions which have not been found, for instance:

Who were Thomas Bennet's parents & where was he b? (1663/4-1706)
Who was his 1st wife, (he was a widower at his 2nd m) their m details & any children? (not mentioned at his passing)
3 children are mentioned (at his passing) - Anne, Mary & Thomas (but some references state Thomas was the elder son - so who was the younger - presumably d young?
Dau Anne m her cousin William Wittewronge, as Mrs Hide(s) of Coventry - who was Mr Hide & when were they m - or was this a ruse? Her mother's 2nd husband Gery was based partly in Coventry, so possibly the family lived there
The 18 page sermon given by his friend Bishop Atterbury made no mention of him

Thomas Lawes who m Mary Bennet was b poss 1731/1939 poss bap 3.9.1747 to John & Margaret (nee Stokes) -not sure. No details about them. When was Thomas b?

Confusion over the b of Mary Bennet's brother John. He was bap 25.8.1722, yet at his m in 1778 he was 21 ie b 1757 & his wife Sarah Bigg 18. If he was b 1722, then he was 55 not 21 at his m?

I think I have exhausted the information available online

sft456

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Don't just look in Oxon; there were Bennets in Wilts/Berks/Bucks and London. Some were related some were not.