Author Topic: Guernsey look up for baptisms please  (Read 332 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guernsey look up for baptisms please
« on: Friday 05 August 22 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
If someone is going to the Priaulx library would they do a look up for baptisms in 1810s please?

I have a Thomas Gifford (or Jefford) Dowell and wife Mary who had possibly two children in Guernsey.
Thomas was baptised in 1781 and had his first mainland born child in 1818 in Paignton, Devon. But before that he had a son (named after himself) and a daughter Eliza. In 1841 they are born 1816 and 1815, but possible burials place them in 1812 and 1811.

Eliza was definitely born in Guernsey (as in later censuses) but Thomas junior only appears in 1841, where he says he was born in foreign parts.

Any help on these two would be great, many thanks
Helen

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey look up for baptisms please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 June 23 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
since posting this topic have had a chance to holiday in Guernsey, and with the help of a very friendly staff at the Priaulx Library have found the following:
Thomas Nicholson Dowell, 1811
Eliza Dowell, 1813
Marie Anne 1815
All children of Thomas Dowell and Mary Nicholson
plus I also found the marriage of the parents in 1810 and a second marriage of the grandfather in 1800!

Also, I did notice that a lot of people from all over mainland Britain (one even from Scotland) were getting married in Guernsey in the latter half of 1700s - so if you can't find a marriage on the mainland, try Guernsey!!
Helen