Author Topic: 1939 Registration - Puzzling  (Read 2368 times)

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Registration - Puzzling
« on: Sunday 07 August 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have been asked by a maternal cousin to have a look at her father's side of her ancestry.  Robert Joseph Coggins (14.4.1933 - 4.11.1985) born to Joseph Robert Coggins and his wife Jessie, maiden name Marshall.  Robert had a younger sister, Sylvia, registered Q1 1938.  Robert and Sylvia born in Dartford, Kent and lived in Bexley, Kent.  There is 'folklore' that Robert was educated "up north" (probably Sheffield) but then the family returned south.  I haven't found any evidence of the move north and electoral rolls show father in Bexley, Kent for many years.

I have found Joseph and Jessie in the 1939 Registration in Gipsy Road, Bexley, Kent which is an address consistent with other information.  There is a third person 'redacted' in the household when I would have expected to find both Robert and Sylvia with their parents.  The only Robert Joseph Coggins I can find in the 1939 Registration is in Devon but the date of birth is wrong.  It is possible Robert was sent to Devon at the outbreak of war "for safety" but the date of birth is wrong.

The redacted person at Gypsy Road could be a 'Coggins' as there are two loops showing below the blacked out line which could be the two 'g's.

Can I ask anyone with some time to please have a look at this for me and see if you agree or can make any useful suggestion, opinion to help.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration - Puzzling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 22 10:37 BST (UK) »
The images are too small/blurry to read.
Can you give a URL instead?

Pauline

Also, is Sylvia now deceased? did she wed, and what was her married surname?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 22 10:41 BST (UK) »
They were very likely evacuated. Evacuated children went to safety before the 1939 register was taken.

Look elsewhere for him as you may find him at his evacuation address which of course might give you the reason for the northern education.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:04 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61596/images/TNA_R39_1232_1232A_019?pId=13140017

Sorry, I don't know how to find/give a URL - does the link above help?  Otherwise, Joseph Robert Coggins was born May 1904 and Jessie in November 1903.  They are living at Gipsy Road, Bexley, Kent in 1939 if that helps you find a clearer image.

Sylvia did marry and I have her marrying Robert Lawrence in Q3 1957 in Sidcup, Kent.  They had a son - Martin in Q4 1959 in Sidcup, Kent.

I have tried searching the 1939 Registration for Robert Joseph Coggins born 1933ish and this Devon one is the only one I can find.  Maybe, he was mis-transcribed??

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
The Robert J Coggins in Devon is consistent with one registered in Q1 1935 in South Molton district mmn Brewer. His birthdate is at end of 1934 so quite reasonable not to be registered until next quarter.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
I would guess the redacted person is Robert's sister, she would only be around a year old, a bit young to be evacuated. As well as two lines in the surname (2 Gs) below the redaction, there is a loop to the right which could be the 'y' in the forename.
Robert is less than 100 years old and although he died whilst the register was still being updated by the NHS and should be visible, he may still be redacted by accident. Maybe evacuated or staying with relatives.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, my feeling is that the redacted person is Sylvia because of her age.  Robert would have been six years old so, perhaps, sent to family elsewhere.  Family think he learnt to read and write ‘up north’ and his parents were from Sheffield so maybe he was ‘evacuated’ there although I haven’t found him.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
Was Joseph Coggins from Sheffield? The only matching birth registration for him is in Oxfordshire. Were Robert's maternal grandparents Herbert Marshall and Harriet Ann nee Thompson?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
have you checked the 1939 register image for the maternal grandparents? There is a redacted person and the loops below the redacted line might be 2 gs