Author Topic: Janet Dryburgh  (Read 527 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Dryburgh
« on: Wednesday 10 August 22 08:00 BST (UK) »
I've identified Janet Dryburgh, b 1590 Dysart (Ancestry) as a likely ancestor.  She married David Dowie in 1614 (I have the record from SP).  I can't verify the year of birth through SP but others have her parents listed as Alexander Dryburgh and Janet Chirrie.  I have records for both these people, 1628, but they had their children in the 1640s (I have a marriage record and various birth records).  I've tried contacting those who have posted the information in their trees, but no luck yet.

The dates just don't match up.  The marriage date and birth dates don't make sense.

Any thoughts on how to proceed.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Dryburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 19:48 BST (UK) »
I've identified Janet Dryburgh, b 1590 Dysart (Ancestry) as a likely ancestor.  She married David Dowie in 1614
others have her parents listed as Alexander Dryburgh and Janet Chirrie.  I have records for both these people, 1628, but they had their children in the 1640s (I have a marriage record and various birth records).

The dates just don't match up.  The marriage date and birth dates don't make sense.

Any thoughts on how to proceed.
It has been mentioned over & over, never go by trees on ancestry or anywhere else as many are wrong as you've discovered with dates not matching up.

I find it best to list the names of children in order for clues to parentage although it doesn't always work but can be helpful.

How did you come by Janet Dryburgh b 1590 as your possible ancestor?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 22 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.  It's a pity though that you thought you needed to give me the "wicked Ancestry" lecture, when I had clearly stated that I had the documents from SP which show a marriage date that doesn't tie in with the births - all from SP.  I'm not a newby, I've been working on my family tree for over 40 years.  I'm well aware that one shouldn't trust what's shown on Ancestry as the information is often unsubstantiated, but it can give you a lead which you can then follow up - as in SP.

I'm seeking advice from other enthusiastic amateurs, like myself, so maybe someone else will have an idea.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 22 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,

My reply was actually agreeing with you but also for others reading...

"never go by trees on ancestry or anywhere else as many are wrong as you've discovered with dates not matching up."

I was more interested in "How did you come by Janet Dryburgh b 1590 as your possible ancestor?"

I thought a reply with names & dates posted here would be helpful to others possibly connected who may get in touch as a 'google' search of names & dates often directs people to RC.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 22 11:55 BST (UK) »
As you say no baptism on SP for Janet, either in Dysart or elsewhere in Scotland.

JANET DRYBRUCHE   Married    DAUID DOWIE   17/05/1614   Dysart

I see the records for their 11 Children, ISOBELL 07/04/1616 & 17/06/1621, KATHAREN 00/07/1616 & 7/11/1620, an unknown child 08/02/1617, followed by WILLIAM 27/02/1618, DAUID 03/03/1618, JANET 26/09/1619, DAUID 29/06/1624, GEORG 26/06/1627, JHON09/12/1628.

The dates recorded are a bit of a worry, I can only assume the records may not have been clear, I also note they are somewhat different to the tree mentioned on Ancestry. The tree states that Dauid was born 17 March 1587 father William but no record on SP. If Janet’s father was named Alexander then I would have thought in this period there would be a child of that name.
There was one baptism with a father of that name, below but no others 1580 – 1600.

JAMES DRYBROUGH   Baptism    ALEXANDER DRYBROUGH   04/08/1588   Dysart

BMD records on SP at Dysart commence 1582 Baptisms and marriages look to be complete to 1854, deaths there is a gap between 1597 & 1720. Kirk Session records begin in the early 1600s.

There were two other marriages about the same time as Janet.
DRYBRUCH   JHONE   ISOBELL JAMESONE   10/03/1612   Dysart

DRYBRUCH   PATRIK   MARGARET PEDIE   12/10/1619   Dysart

This could be his baptism, it was the only other one at Dysart at the time of James above.

DRYBRUN   PATRIK   ANDROW DRYBRUN   02/04/1587   Dysart

Regards Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.