Author Topic: I've lost the plot  (Read 3596 times)

Offline ghallen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've lost the plot
« on: Friday 12 August 22 22:35 BST (UK) »
The heat today has addled my brain. I very almost convinced myself earlier that one of my direct ancestors from the late 1800s was sentenced to a month in Wandsworth for "big time onions growing".

One day I'll figure out how to read the fancy handwriting.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I've lost the plot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
 ;D

There is a board here on Rootschat especially to help with things people can't read.
You could 'clip' the bit you can't make out, and post it on here. Somebody will probably be able to help you.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ghallen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you :) I found that board earlier.
The mystery has been solved. My "big time onion growing" turned out to be "stealing some onions growing" which makes more sense :)

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 22 08:46 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 22 00:56 BST (UK) »
I received a marriage cert and read the groom's father's occupation as 'clerk and water master' which given where the family lived and the maritime links for the groom seemed reasonable. It caused quite a stir in some maritime circles........I had to go back days later and tell them it actually said clock and watch maker.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, those poorly-transcribed entries!

I spent AGES on a wild goose chase, trying to find evidence in Southampton for an ancestor whose place of birth was recorded on the census as Southampton (seemed reasonable at the time ... )

Only ... it wasn't!

When I took a really long, hard look at the manuscript census entry, I decided that it didn't say "Southampton" at all. It said "Som. Taunton"

So I switched my search to Taunton, Somerset and ... BINGO!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 15:59 GMT (UK) »

When I took a really long, hard look at the manuscript census entry, I decided that it didn't say "Southampton" at all. It said "Som. Taunton"

So I switched my search to Taunton, Somerset and ... BINGO!

I have ancestors from Taunton Somerset. When they first appeared on Ancestry,they had nearly all been transcribed as Taunton SOMALIA  ;D ;D ;D

I also researched a friend's ancestor who had been deported to Australia for stealing tinsnips !
Turns out it was his 2nd offence (the first one was stealing a gentleman's handkerchief) and it actually said Turnips.....not tinsnips  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh Carol ... don't you sometimes wish you HADN'T taken quite such a close look? Theft of tinsnips is just SO much more entertaining a thought.

Incidentally, my brother who is a history professor at an Australian university tells me that there has been a lot of research done recently into the reasons for convict transportations. It has been one of those "everyone knows" things for generation ... most transportees were sent to Australia for ridiculously trivial offences.

Oh really? Says who?

Well, says they themselves, actually, in circumstances where nobody could go back and verify their claim.

EVER so many Australian convict-descendants have a family story that it was for some truly trivial offence ... and some were. But by no means all of them.

Think about it. If you were transported for a truly horrendous (but non-capital) offence, and on your arrival in Australia you were asked what your offence had been, would you have told the truth? Or would you have said "Oh, I stole a pair of tin snips to cut up my turnips ... "?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright