Author Topic: trying to trace the mother of Eliza Eddy 1861 - 1936  (Read 26205 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: trying to trace the mother of Eliza Eddy 1861 - 1936
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 13:17 BST (UK) »
May have been added previously apologies if I'm duplicating

Henry Eddy Coleman age 21, labourer Cheese Lane
father Henry John Coleman, labourer
married in 1888 witnesses to his wedding were
Alfred John Norris & Eliza Norris

Henry Eddy COLEMAN  mmn CHAPEL
GRO Reference: 1867  D Quarter in BRISTOL  Volume 06A  Page 10
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SummerCrush

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
May have been added previously apologies if I'm duplicating

Henry Eddy Coleman age 21, labourer Cheese Lane
father Henry John Coleman, labourer
married in 1888 witnesses to his wedding were
Alfred John Norris & Eliza Norris

Henry Eddy COLEMAN  mmn CHAPEL
GRO Reference: 1867  D Quarter in BRISTOL  Volume 06A  Page 10

Thank-You its much appreciated.

Offline SummerCrush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
SummerCrush I have been looking back over your thread and these previous posts from Heywood

“It looks as though Albert and Thomas are the same person.
He may have preferred Thomas as a name or changed it for some reason. Sometimes names were changed after a police incident or similar.”

“I have also previously mentioned this man  in 1871 2521/9/10
Thomas Eddy, mason’s labourer b Bath and lodging in Bristol. He is listed as unmarried and has been transcribed as 28yrs but, to me, that is doubtful on the census page.”

“I was just putting the idea forward that, for some reason, Albert who was Sarah Hannah’s husband, might have used a different forename for some reason.”

I have to agree with Heywood the unmarried THOMAS EDDY age 38 born Bath Somerset  lodging 44 Temple Street Bristol on 1871 census has similarities to the ALBERT EDDY born Bath Somerset who married Sarah Hannah Chapple/el…….there appears to be NO other census that I can see for a Thomas Eddy born Bath Somerset other than the 1871 census  ???

The question is did

Sarah Hannah Eddy (nee Chappel) leave her husband Albert Eddy sometime after birth/death of their daughter Mary Ann Eddy(b1863-d1864)
or was it
Albert Eddy who left his wife Sarah ( a possible relationship with Henry John Coleman, she is living with him as his wife 1871 and her two children Philip & Eliza Eddy (mmn Chappel) from 1861 census have been dittoed as having the surname Coleman (1871)
Then for whatever reason her husband Albert Eddy may have changed his christian name to Thomas  Eddy thereafter???

Sarah Hannah Eddy married Henry John Coleman in DEC qtr. 1877 -
do you have this marriage certificate? Was she noted as a widow???

Mentioned by Heywood a death entry for
Thomas Eddy age 44 (1833) DEC 1877 Bristol

As mentioned does seem a coincidence that Sarah Hannah Eddy married in the same quarter and year as the above death entry of a Thomas Eddy - again perhaps another coincidence!

If it were my family just to rule him in or out I would be considering obtaining the 1877 death certificate of Thomas Eddy to see what it says it would be interesting as to who the informant was - perhaps a family member  :-\

If you ever unravel the mystery of your Eliza Eddy born 1861 Bristol as to who her mother was please come back and let us know  :)

just been on FindMyPast website, looked up Birth Record for a Thomas Eddy{born 1833 to make him aged 38 on the 1871 Census} born in Bath and there is ZILCH.

then tried Albert Eddy{Zilch} then tried Albert T Eddy{Zilch} and then tried Thomas A Eddy{again Zilch} with them all being born in the location of Bath and there is nothing birth record wise that backs up where he says he was born on the 1871 census.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 15:47 BST (UK) »
Albert Eddy baptism 1834 - Walcot, Somerset
Parents William and Ann
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3YR-99K

1841 372 /book 6 /folio 35 / pg 18
Harford Street Bristol

William and Honor Eddy with children including Albert 7 yrs
None are born in county
Dalton? Court, Bristol
1851 1953 /53/28
William b Bath
Albert b Bath
Siblings b Bristol

Added
As you say no sign of Thomas
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 15:54 BST (UK) »
Albert Eddy born 10 April 1834, bapt 16 Nov 1834 Walcot, Bath- son of William Eddy  and Anne - Abode = 14, Clarence Street. William was a Labourer- from Find My Past.

djm297

Offline SummerCrush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 16:19 BST (UK) »
Quote“I have also previously mentioned this man in 1871 2521/9/10
Thomas Eddy, mason’s labourer b Bath and lodging in Bristol. He is listed as unmarried and has been transcribed as 28yrs but, to me, that is doubtful on the census page.”

check for a birth record on Thomas Eddy then tried Thomas A then tried Thomas Albert and then tried Albert T and then tried Albert Thomas born 1843 to make him 28 years of age on that 1871 census located in Bath and there is NO Record of a birth for any of those names being born in Bath.

but there is a Thomas Eddy born 1844 in Tavistock, Devon

William Eddy married Elizabeth Chapple in 1880, they had two daughters one called Pollie Louise Eddy born 1881 in Devon{there is NO Death record for her} and Sarah Eddy born 1879 in Penzance, Cornwall

Sarah Eddy married John Charles Chapple in 1908 in Penzance, Cornwall and they had no children{well none that I can find after they married in 1908}

Offline SummerCrush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 16:25 BST (UK) »
Albert Eddy born 10 April 1834, bapt 16 Nov 1834 Walcot, Bath- son of William Eddy  and Anne - Abode = 14, Clarence Street. William was a Labourer- from Find My Past.

djm297

I have NO Clue how you found that as I'm on FindMyPast now and I've just checked birth records for Albert Eddy birth year of exactly 1834 in Walcot, Somerset and there is NONE as in ZILCH record of that birth.

I also searched for Albert Eddy born in Walcot, Somerset +100 miles and again the only Albert Eddy that appears in the one born in Bodmin, Cornwall

I also searched for Albert Thomas Eddy then Albert T Eddy then Thomas A Eddy born exactly 1834 and born 1834 +1, +2, +5, +10, +20 in Somerset as a whole again and ZILCH

then tried the same thing as above but with location of Somerset +100 mile radius and the only Albert Eddy that appears is a man born 1861 in Bodmin, Cornwall

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 16:31 BST (UK) »
I put Bath as the place of birth- with a 5 mile radius.

djm297

Offline SummerCrush

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 16:41 BST (UK) »

djm297

I've just done what you did and there is ZERO results coming up