Author Topic: How many pubs in Ffrwd?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
How many pubs in Ffrwd?
« on: Saturday 13 August 22 04:03 BST (UK) »
I was doing some research in old UK newspapers when I came across an article from 1864 about an inquest in Ffrwd (Frood), near Wrexham. Apparently, a young shoemaker ‘far advanced in intoxication’ had tried to jump on a moving train, but was run over. What struck me was that out of the 17 members of the jury, 9 were publicans. There were also 3 shoemakers, a tailor and assorted others.
Was this a reflection of the number of pubs in Ffrwd (there was a large iron works nearby, presumably with a lot of thirsty workers)? Or were publicans over-represented among property owners in the region (I’m assuming jurors in those days had to be property owners)?
Also, 17 seems like a lot of jurors. The inquest was held in the Black Horse Inn – maybe there were free drinks afterwards as an incentive to serve?

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: How many pubs in Ffrwd?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 22 11:38 BST (UK) »
In 1845, my own village had 437 inhabitants, but had 2 public houses and 2 beer shops. A beer shop only brewed beer for consumption off the premises. Even in the depths of rural Norfolk, the water could not be trusted. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 22 16:12 BST (UK) »

Or were publicans over-represented among property owners in the region (I’m assuming jurors in those days had to be property owners)?
Also, 17 seems like a lot of jurors. The inquest was held in the Black Horse Inn – maybe there were free drinks afterwards as an incentive to serve?

I don't know about Welsh law.
English jurors had to be ratepayers until second half of 20th century. Most jurors were men until then.
My innkeeper ancestors in a village/small town in 18th & early 19th centuries were yeomen with certain property rights but with the status came responsibilities. 
Inns were a common venue for inquests. There had to be a room big enough to accommodate the jury + members of public, with seats and tables for officials and jurors. An inn might be the only suitable place in a small town. At one time corpses were on view at inquests. 
Cowban

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 22 16:47 BST (UK) »
Ffrwd was  a very small place, I suspect that they came from the surrounding villages.

I lived in the Wrexham area and I'd not heard of it until your post came up,  It's in the Brymbo-Llay  area

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 August 22 17:01 BST (UK) »
The inquest was at Pentre Broughton, not Ffrwd
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 August 22 17:12 BST (UK) »
The inquest was at Pentre Broughton, not Ffrwd

I thought that there was something wrong!

https://goo.gl/maps/7uP4Z4LqoScbGR8u5

Add - And the only pub left

https://goo.gl/maps/QN6sD1BiYnL7AR4o7
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 August 22 17:49 BST (UK) »
Checking out some of the names:

The Cowlishaw family had the Running Horses at Ffrwd
William Lambert had the White Horse at Pentre
John Kenrick - not sure which John Kenrick this is but I haven't found a publican of that name
John Rooney - I haven't found a publican of that name in the Wrexham area
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 August 22 19:22 BST (UK) »
I remember there being a Red Lion in Ffrwd - but otherwise a very small place. But what puzzled me about this story was I'm sure there was never a railway there - only at Ffrith to the west or Cefnybedd to the east.

There was once a bus service to Ffrwd timetabled to call at Yord - so obscure a place that it isn't on any map!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 August 22 19:25 BST (UK) »
I remember there being a Red Lion in Ffrwd -

now apparently a pub-restaurant called "The Ffrwd"
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)