Author Topic: 1851 search for ALNER  (Read 1819 times)

helen4711

1851 search for ALNER
« on: Monday 05 September 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me - again - with search for Joseph and Ann ALNER or ALLNER in the 1851 census.
1841 shows them in Bere Regis with Joseph a farrier, Joseph died in 1857. If it shows where he was born.....even better!
Any news gratefuly received

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 search for ALNER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
living at fivehead neville in 1851-
joseph alner 73yrs farrier born taerars suddle,dorset
ann 44yrs born haselbury bruen ,dorset
george.j 16yrs born aff siddle
joseph 13yrs born beeston regis
ann 11yrs born beeston regis
henry 8yrs born beeston regis
john 6yrs born beeston regis
edward 6yrs born beeston regis
SOURCE INFO-H0107-1852
FOLIO-312
PAGE-16
regards
alli

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 14:15 GMT (UK) »
all baptisms recorded at turners puddle dorset children of joseph and anne alner-
george torcock alner bapt 10th july 1834
joseph bapt 18th sept 1837
anne margaret bapt 17th april 1841
henry robert bapt 14th june 1842
edward william bapt 20th may 1844
john mullet alner bapt 20th may 1844
hope this helps?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

helen4711

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. Those sprouts and mince pies must have worked their magic. They are the alners I was looking for. Back to work on the family now!!! Happy new year.x. :D :)

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 06 00:43 BST (UK) »
This is still new so fingers crossed :)
 I was delighted to see a mentionof the Alners at Fifehead Neville as my family are also intimately tied up with them. My Great great gran  Charlotte Vincent, married Edward William Alner (on the census record mentioned) in late 1870 in Sturminster district. She was 12 years older than him and had a son, James, aged 7, by her previous husband, who it is said had been killed in a harvest accident.
In 1871, they were living in SturNew and Ed.Alner was described as a harness maker.By 1881 they were back at the farm in Fifehead Neville and young James is recorded as an ALNER like his step father.
At this point it gets complicated- Edward's brother Joseph (also on the census record mentioned)was by now working as a cow-man down the road at Melcombe Horsey and he had a daughter named Martha Alner. Young James fell for her, changed his name back to Vincent and they were married early in 1886.(Of course they weren't blood relatives)
They  eventually bought a farm in the New Forest,both lived to a good old age, and they are buried at our parish church at Ellingham. (They are my great grand mother & father)
Meanwhile Edward and Charlotte Alner are more of a puzzle. When she died in 1898, she was buried alone at Fifehead Neville and the stone was put up by James and Martha "in memory of a good mother"-ie no mention of her husband. There are also family rumours of some "goings-on". An Edward Alner was married at S-New just 6 months after Charlotte's death.
I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas Hardy didn't base a novel on it all!  I hope this all makes sense and is relevant- I drove round the various places concerned and the farm at F-Nev the other evening and it has really brought it all to life.
best wishes, Stockman Fred

helen4711

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 06 20:01 BST (UK) »
;DWell Stockman Fred, how wonderful to hear from you, not sure how we are related yet, too hot to try to work it out, but I think it goes something like this... Martha, your Great Grandmother had a brother called Robert Henry. He married Louisa Stickland in 1889 (I have a wonderful photo of her and possibly him) they went on (as per the norm) to have 7 children, the youngest of whom were twins Olive and Elsie.
Olive married Gerald Walbridge in 1919 and also had 7 children, one of whom is Esme, my Mum.
I must admit to spending more time on the Walbridge tree than the Alners, but am starting to get into it a bit now.
It would be good to hear how you are doing with it.
Best wishes. Helen

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
Great to hear from you, Helen- It looks as if we share a common great-great grandad and Mum among the Alners of Melcombe Horsey.
I'll have a rummage and see if I can remember any old family tales, etc,which might be of interest tomorrow - I'll get back to you as soon as the silage baling allows (it certainly was a scorcher today!).
All the best, Fred

helen4711

« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 June 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
How wonderful to hear some farming talk again. Mums family were farmers, with her youngest brother retiring some years ago, I do miss the farm (just outside Swanage) very much, even though I was only a visitor! I was only talking about silage and hay making today with Mum.
Do keep in touch. Helen

helen4711

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred, hope this warm sunny weather is helping you with hay making, silage etc. I shall be working away in sunny(!) Southport until 20th June, so if you do send me more stories I am not ignoring you!
I was wondering how far you had managed to go back on the Alner side. I have Joseph b 1791 married Ann Torrevell(?) b 1807 in 1833, making them the parents of Edward. I am having difficulties tracking down his parents, and can only find reference to Widow Alner as his possible mother, but I am still working on it!
Keep safe, Helen.