Author Topic: Cater of Kempston Hastingbury  (Read 692 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cater of Kempston Hastingbury
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi cuffie.
No I haven't. Sounds interesting. Can you please post the link or details?? I'm interested! C
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 August 22 11:45 BST (UK) »
Bedfordshire Times and Independent
28 Apr 1922
page 11
History of Kempston
The Ancient Manors

18 Aug 1922
page 5
An Interesting Letter From Japan

28 Mar 1941
page 4, column 5
A Bedfordian's Diary
The Vanished Heir

09 May 1941
page 6, column 5
A Bedfordian's Diary
The Carter Mystery

18 Apr 1941
page 6, column 5
A Bedfordian's Diary
The Caters of Kempston

We're on a lookup board so can't add attachments. Bear with me while I'll upload the newspaper snippets to a 3rd party site.

EDIT:
Image links for newspaper snippets:
https://i.postimg.cc/fyQJWNzw/1922-Caters-News-Bedfordshire-Times-and-Independent-1-28-Apr-1922-lrg.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/xTYcWnp5/1922-Caters-News-Bedfordshire-Times-and-Independent-2-18-Aug-1922-med.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/3NjWdcN2/1941-Caters-News-Bedfordshire-Times-and-Independent-1-28-Mar-1941-med.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/CMbRPz7d/1941-Caters-News-Bedfordshire-Times-and-Independent-2-18-Apr-1941-med.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Yq3h7ZJH/1941-Caters-News-Bedfordshire-Times-and-Independent-3-09-May-1941-med.jpg
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 August 22 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much cuffie.
That wil keep me busy for a while!!!!
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 22 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuffie,

I've had a look through these newspaper articles, which are fascinating. So John Cater junior either died suspiciously 'at home' and was buried near his home, or died in the army in the West Indies. I tend towards the latter. It warrants a look at some West Indies ancestry sites and fh sources.

If you have access to the Kempston records, cuffie, I wonder if you would be prepared to have a look for any 17th c. Kendall baptisms and burials in that parish. John (Kendall) Cater senior (the father above) married a Margaret Beaumont. This Margaret was of the Beaumont family of Coleorton and Stoughton, co. Leics.

Margaret had a great aunt, also called Margaret Beaumont who married a John Kendall of Kempston. She was born about 1644 but I have no other details. according to a few online refs. They apparently had 3 daughters. I can find no other reference to them on Ancestry or by Googling them.

There was a Samuel Cater of Kempston Hall and Harold, Sheriff of co. Beds., who was bap. Kempston 1/3/1645, died 1704, who married an Anne Cater, daughter John Kendall of Bassingbourn, co. Cambridge. I wondered if this Anne was one of the 3 daughters of John Kendall and Margaret Beaumont??

Would you be able to have a look at the Kempston records between 1650 and 1700 to see if there is any reference to this couple and their daughters? I understand if you'd rather not.

Many thanks for your help.

Craig

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 August 22 09:20 BST (UK) »
The Kempston PR transcript is available here if you want to investigate ...

https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari39bedf/page/12/mode/2up
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 August 22 10:49 BST (UK) »
I've had a look through these newspaper articles, which are fascinating. So John Cater junior either died suspiciously 'at home' and was buried near his home, or died in the army in the West Indies. I tend towards the latter. It warrants a look at some West Indies ancestry sites and fh sources.

As curious as those stories are about the skeleton, I'd tend to agree with you, that the family most likely knew what really happened to John.

If you have access to the Kempston records, cuffie, I wonder if you would be prepared to have a look for any 17th c. Kendall baptisms and burials in that parish.

There's no Kendall baptisms and only one burial, which likely isn't related to your Kendalls.

Burials - All Saints, Kempston:
09 Nov 1793 Susan Kendal; dau. of Thomas (pauper) & Ann

As an aside, there's no Beaumont baptisms and only one burial.

Burials - All Saints, Kempston:
11 Feb 1690 Mary Beaumont; widow of Benjamin

Margaret had a great aunt, also called Margaret Beaumont who married a John Kendall of Kempston. She was born about 1644 but I have no other details. according to a few online refs. They apparently had 3 daughters. I can find no other reference to them on Ancestry or by Googling them.

There was a Samuel Cater of Kempston Hall and Harold, Sheriff of co. Beds., who was bap. Kempston 1/3/1645, died 1704, who married an Anne Cater, daughter John Kendall of Bassingbourn, co. Cambridge. I wondered if this Anne was one of the 3 daughters of John Kendall and Margaret Beaumont??

Would you be able to have a look at the Kempston records between 1650 and 1700 to see if there is any reference to this couple and their daughters? I understand if you'd rather not.

As mentioned, there's no Kendall baptisms at Kempston and only that one burial. There's a few marriages but none seem to have an obvious connection to the family you're looking for.

Marriages - All Saints, Kempston:
02 Jul 1571 Jn Kendall and Ellen Carter
06 Sep 1624 Chris Smyth and Kath Kendall
14 May 1781 Tho Kendall and Ann Radley (widower)

As mentioned on post #2, the best option for finding Beds. baptisms, marriages and burials is to start with the Beds. FHS' surname index, as it helps to quickly identify any possible records. Then use that to find the details in transcripts or scans (I don't think there's too many PR scans online though).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 August 22 11:39 BST (UK) »
Private Acts
Anno 9 Geo II (1735/36)
23. An Act to enable Robert Kendall Esquire, now called Robert Cater, and his Issue, to take and use the Surname and Arms of Cater.

Anno 23 Geo II (1749/50)
9. An Act to enable Beckford Kendall, Esq., now called Beckford Kendall Cater, and his Issue Male, to take and use the Surname of Cater.

FindMyPast Baptism (transcript only)
John Kendall, 23 Mar 1723, parents Beckford and Judith, place Broxted, Residence Moor End

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 August 22 11:54 BST (UK) »
Northampton Mercury, 16 Nov 1772
A few Days ago died, in Castle-Street, Long-Acre, London, John Cater, Esq., of Kempstone, in Bedfordshire

FindMyPast burials (transcript only)
John Cater, bur 18 Oct 1772, Parish of St Botolph without Aldgate, London

Ipswich Journal, 5 May 1750
MARRIAGES - Mr John Cater, an Attorney of Kempstone-Bury, near Bedford to Miss Beaumont, Sister to Sir George Beaumont, Bt., of Great Dunmow 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 August 22 12:07 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant, 10 Jan 1736
By the death of John Cater of Kempston in Bedfordshire, Esq., (who died last Sunday) his estate of about £1200 per Annum comes to Robert Kendall, Esq., of Cheap-Ward, a near relation.

Ipswich Journal, 13 May 1749
Robert Cater, Esq., son of the late Sir Robert Carter, Knt., and Alderman of Cheap-Ward

The death of the two Robert Caters puts Beckford Kendall in the frame - hence the 1749 name change?