Author Topic: Poor Law Advice  (Read 728 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor Law Advice
« on: Wednesday 31 August 22 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi , I am still trying to track down my elusive GG Grandma and thought that an understanding of the old Poor law System may help in finding where she may have disappeared to.
Isabella MacKenzie was born in Lochcarron (Jeantown) between 1812-1814 and lived in Annat with her husband after their marriage in 1840. After her husband's death Isabella claimed Poor Law in Applecross as her 'husband's settlement ' as opposed to a 'birth settlement' and I can find two Poor Law entries on Find My Past  for 1861 and 1867 . The second entry states that she was struck off the roll in August 1869 and I know that she was marked as deceased on her daughter's wedding entry in December 1871.
Would anybody have any ideas at all please why somebody who was clearly destitute would be struck off the roll ? Was there a workhouse in Applecross / Shieldaig that she may have been moved to ?
Thank you .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Law Advice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 08:59 BST (UK) »
The Workhouse site only lists 3 workhouses in R&C  ~
Fortrose, Tain and Lewis.

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Scotland/UnionsScotland.shtml

Have you checked deaths on SP and/or the 1871 census?

There is an entry on the 1871: a patient  in an institution in  Inverness of an Isabella Mackenzie, 61, a widow, from  Applecross.

This from a transcription. I'll check the full entry on SP.*

Gadget

*  all patients on the page entered  as  'lunatic'. 
    Institution - Inverness District  Lunatic Asylum
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
Apart from a daughter, other children (the 2 sons) are mentioned in the poor law recods - what happened to them?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
I see that you've checked some deaths, and Monica has helped, on this thread.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862216.0

Add - you could check for death records in Inverness in addition to Rossshire

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
An FindMyPast entry (transcript only) under "Scotland Poor Law and Lists" includes -

"Register note - 6 Apr 1867 son John died, 22 May removed to district asylum, 9 Jun1882 died this date"

Isabella Mackenzie, born 1811, age 56,
Year 1867, residence Applecross Asylum

Children John 11, Kate 9

A different Isabella?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:05 BST (UK) »
An FindMyPast entry (transcript only) under "Scotland Poor Law and Lists" includes -

"Register note - 6 Apr 1867 son John died, 22 May removed to district asylum, 9 Jun1882 died this date"

Isabella Mackenzie, born 1811, age 56,
Year 1867, residence Applecross Asylum

Children John 11, Kate 9

A different Isabella?

I thought that that one didn't match the other two that Becky mentioned.  From memory, the children had different names.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:09 BST (UK) »
Just checked again.

The one you mention was listed under Applecross union 'by Birth'. Becky refers to the other entries as Settlement by her husband's settlement.

Add - also different children's names

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
Becky - what was her duaghter's name:  Kate or Mary or ??

Add - I see that the children on the entries that I've looked at are the same as here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862216.msg7315783#msg7315783

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 22 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all the replies .
I can answer a few questions. Isabella's children were Christy (born 1842) , William (1846), Mary (1848) , Duncan & Donald (1851)  and Alexander (1855) . There was another boy and another girl who had died by 1855 but I can't find their names . I also thought that there was a John but have since found this was wrong .
I can find  Christy on the 1871 census in Annat and Mary in Fodderty . I cannot find William , Duncan, Donald or Alexander although there are plenty of people either living an servants or boarders by those names it is difficult to prove anything definitely  . I cannot find Isabella on the 1871 census . I did find an Alexander living in Locharron listed as a nephew so I will double check the details on that .
I have pretty much exhausted SP with all variants of Isabella McKenzie in Ross  &  Cromarty and Inverness . I did check the Inverness Asylum one but she had a different husband . I did find a possible entry in Kishorn but can now rule that out as I found further details in a newspaper obituary , and another in Gairloch but the age was massively out .
I think one problem that I am facing is that the records for Lochcarron were apparently burnt in a fire so I am struggling to find her family . I am working on an assumption that her parents may have been Christy and William but that is just on naming patterns and guess work .
Why is it hat the family you can't find is the one that interests you so much :-)