Author Topic: HUMPHRIES Elizabeth Sarah (or Sophia?) Brighton 1856/7/8?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUMPHRIES Elizabeth Sarah (or Sophia?) Brighton 1856/7/8?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 11 September 22 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well it might be worth getting, as they are only £1.50 at the moment
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/

Have a good night.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 11 September 22 00:34 BST (UK) »
Another Elizabeth Sarah to look at? :-\
This time Humphreys.
Just throwing it out here, do go into the one who went to Australia first, who looks to be a better candidate!

Baptism at Chiswick, 28 January 1835
Elizabeth Sarah
daughter of Thomas William & Catherine Elizabeth Humphreys
Abode Strand on the Green
Father a Lighterman.
Born 31st Jan.

Her marriage
30 March 1862, Holy Trinity, Twickenham
John Scott, full age, Bachelor, Gardener, residence Twickenham Common, father John Scott, Carman
+
Elizabeth Sarah Humphreys, full age, Spinster, residence Twickenham, father Thomas William Humphreys, Waterman.
Both signed.

1861 census is interesting, but in Twickenham (maybe she didn't go much further!)
Elizabeth S Humpreys (looks like that!) Serv, 26, Nurse, born Middlesex Chiswick.

Head is William Langford, 39, Solicitor, born Sussex Westham.
Wife is Sarah L Langford, 31, born St Vedast Cheapside
Children born Middlesex.
Two other servants, one born Sussex Brighton, one born Surrey Chobham.

So there are some Sussex connections, but probably William didn't have much to do with Sussex by then.
His daughter Maud's birth in London was though announced in the Sussex Advertiser, 29 April 1856.
Langford.—On Sunday morning, April 27, at 3, Sumner Place, Onslow Square, London, Mrs. William Langford, a daughter.

Maud was baptized at St James Westmister, 30 June 1856, and birth date and address confirmed.
Father William was a Solicitor, mum was Sarah Louisa.

Offline TimCSS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 11 September 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that one.
Just a quick aside before we go out; My Gt gt Uncle William Samuel Sargeant was a boatbuilder at Strand-on-the-Green in late Victorian times. A pioneer in Electrically Propelled launches.

Offline TimCSS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 12 September 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
jonw; I went through your posting re Elizabeth Sarah who went to Australia. Couldn't find any connection. HOWEVER, I have now read all my notes and see that I did have an Elizabeth Sarah who went to Australia and another one who went to Canada. I'm not sure if the Ozzie one is the same as yours and the Canada one didn't have any Brighton connections. But THANK YOU for all your work and suggestions.
Shame we weren't looking for one of my Sargeant family who had very strong connections to Chiswick, Twickenham and Kingston areas in 19th and 20th centuries! Only lost with the death of my father's cousin quite recently.
You mention the adoption of illegitimate children being 'arranged' in advance; Although John Laing provided quite well for the child he doesn't mention the mother. To me that has two explanations; He had made some settlement on her earlier, or she had found a husband and moved on leaving the child in the care of the Potter family which was financed by John Laing. It was probably all 'hushed up' at the time as John Laing's younger brother David was a clergyman, ALTHOUGH, he was known to have stayed at the Oriental Place address when visiting or preaching in Brighton. There are references to people visiting Brighton and where they stayed including David Laing.

Offline TimCSS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 08 March 24 19:43 GMT (UK) »

Good Evening to all,
I am still none the wiser with regard to Elizabeth Sarah Humphries mother of John Laing Humphries.
This is most unfortunate but I would like to say THANK YOU to all of you who have tried to assist me
in my quest to find her. We seem to be no further forward in spite of enquiries here and elsewhere!
TCS.